From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 10:13:41
1 Well, in *my* opinion, in turn, having possibility to {R,}DEPEND on package
2 from exact repo is much and much more needed functionality.
3
4 Say, I have pkg2 in my repo, that depends on pkg1, which is in my repo too.
5 Then, I (or user) add other repo having pkg1 too. Or, say, gentoo maintainers
6 bump pkg1 to a newer version (while I'm slacking a bit).
7 And my pkg1 is a bit different from gentoo's (let it be patchset, or, say,
8 lua.eclass support for lua overlay).
9
10 So, that changes results in random unexpected behaviour as blocks, runtime
11 breakage and so on.
12
13 And renaming all the packages to not collide with gentoo/other repos naming
14 is, well, not an option, I think.
17 Or, another example:
18 I making pkg4 in my repo1, which depends on pkg3 from repo2 (where I 100% sure
19 it fits all the requirements and the patchsets), while pkg3 in ::gentoo
20 doesn't (and it can even have a bug about that opened for a century already).
21
22 Currently, it is no way to say "only dep-pkg from that exact repo is 100%
23 works as expected", so there is still the chance, that someday pkg4 would fail
24 to build because suddenly pkg3 was reinstalled from another "incompatible"
25 repo...
26 And, honestly, current ways to resolve that issue (adding dummy-useflags,
27 copy_here&rename, and so on) looks as very dirty hacks.