From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Living in a bubble [gentoo-proctor] Warning
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:11:08
1 On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 21:52 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:44:23 +0100
3 > Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
4 > > For that reason alone, it should normally be avoided in international
5 > > forums such as are provided by Gentoo.
6 >
7 > Why yes! Gentoo needs to be one hundred percent serious and entirely
8 > not fun. Anyone saying anything remotely amusing needs to be shut down
9 > by the proctors immediately. Please keep up the good work.
10
11 I really have to agree with you. The proctors have completely lost
12 their way. They are ineffective. They tend to compound the problems
13 they were created to stop. They are slow. They have not prevented
14 anything, which was the reason for their creation. Rather, what they
15 *have* done is stifle conversation, piss off people, get in the way of
16 Developer Relations reports, and otherwise making developers feel like
17 they don't want to participate in our official discussion channels.
18
19 What do I think needs to be done?
20
21 The proctors project needs to go away. It simply wasn't implemented in
22 the way the Council had hoped and has proven to be more harmful than the
23 original problems to morale and inter-developer trust. While the
24 individual members might be doing what they think is best and trying
25 their best, they've failed at the goals of improving our communications
26 channels.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
33 Gentoo Foundation