From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass policy
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 07:09:05
1 On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 18:06:29 -0700
2 Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Well, maybe it's because you can talk to Python team, discuss and not
7 > > get ignored by them.
8 >
9 > We've already established the same is true for the games team. I'm a living
10 > example of it and I can't imagine I'm the only one.
11
12 Good for you. So... ignoring majority is fine as long as you can prove
13 that they don't ignore one of their old fellows. Good.
14
15 > > Unlike games team members who believe it's best to
16 > > ignore certain developers.
17 >
18 > I certainly hope we can still ignore abrasive developers since it's been
19 > proven many times that it's the best way to deal with them.
20 >
21 > So, you don't answer my question. Or rather, you answer with a specious
22 > statement. Since you're being unusually shy I will say what you're trying
23 > hard not so say. There are actually first-class projects catered for by
24 > first-class developers, and those can set rules like the mandatory use of
25 > an eclass and actually enforce them. Then there are second-class projects
26 > and developers who can do the same as long as it doesn't bother the
27 > first-class people. Second-class developers, often working quietly and
28 > steadily, not wasting their time on mailing-lists like I just did, can see
29 > their projects trampled over at any time for the mere reason that they were
30 > trying to keep their business in order, just like first-class developers do.
31
32 Now you are trivializing the problem. I wasn't talking about mailing
33 lists. I was talking about explicit questions, requests, pings. Mail,
34 IRC, Bugzilla.
35
36 If you get bug from the Council asking you what to do... don't you
37 think it would be fair to reply? Of course, you could say 'mgorny
38 opened the bug, I'm going to ignore him'. But the fact is, this is
39 not some kind of 'quiet, steady work'.
40
41 This is an explicit attempt of ignoring everyone with differing opinion
42 by delaying things. Sure, you can disagree. But it's different to
43 discuss disagreements and reach a consensus. And it's different if you
44 silently ignore disagreeing opinions and make them wait months for
45 a single reply, hoping to stall them from having any effect whatsoever.
46
47 When was the last time games project got a new member? Where is that
48 'premiere Linux gaming platform'? What about all these users? Why were
49 we exposing security issues for almost 10 years?
50
51 So we're the bad ones in your opinion, troubling the little closed
52 team. We want to have some influence, bad us. We should just keep quiet
53 and let us be ordered. Stand out of the line -- and you're a problem,
54 you're abrasive developer, you should be ignored.
57 Best regards,
58 Michał Górny
59 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>