From: Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] implementation details for GLEP 41
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 01:44:58
1 On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 19:02 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2
3 > For now, I don't want to rsync more than every 30 minutes (concerns of
4 > overloading the main cvs server). Pylon has mentioned that the newer
5 > version of cvs has better commit hooks that may allow for more of a live
6 > replication effect, but I don't expect that to happen any time soon. I
7 > will try and come up with a revised version of GLEP 41 and see if
8 > hparker and folks will agree with this new solution.
9 >
10 > We will probably still have the blocking script on this server, but will
11 > be at a much higher level. This is just to prevent folks from abusing
12 > the service or giving out their access for other people to use. I really
13 > don't see that happening, but I would prefer to have some kind of
14 > prevention in place for infra's sake. I'll have to think out details on
15 > the authentication scheme for access, but I would assume it would be per
16 > AT and not a shared access account.
17 >
18 > Thoughts?
19
20 If any user really wanted to get the access that AT/HT's get, and the
21 AT/HT was so to give them it, there would be different IP addresses from
22 the same auth 'similaneously'. ie. logs state, IP A, IPB IPA, IPb. this
23 would indicate a security violation and revocation of privilege for the
24 AT/HT. Accomplished Via script?
25 Personally, If I wanted a user to have access to the same tree I had, I
26 would say A) chill for 12hrs, B) sync to my local mirror, C) post
27 ebuild.tar for them. I don't believe there is an issue with AT/HT's
28 disseminating access to users. However I understand the need to be
29 prepared in case it happens.
30
31 25-55min delay may need to be acceptable.
32
33 <brainstorming out loud>
34 Allow (x) access to the dedicated rsync server, not limited by time.
35 - Allow Devs to change this number if they feel it is necessary
36 - <5min access when working directly with Dev.
37 - number reset every (y) days.
38 (this means new infra, so prolly not)
39
40 Per AT Access:
41 Each AT upload their ssh_pub to the existing infra - use that
42 for ?secure? rsync auth.
43 </>
46 Lares Moreau <lares.moreau@×××××.com> | LRU: 400755 http://counter.li.org
47 Gentoo x86 Arch Tester | ::0 Alberta, Canada
48 Public Key: 0D46BB6E @ subkeys.pgp.net | Encrypted Mail Prefered
49 Key fingerprint = 0CA3 E40D F897 7709 3628 C5D4 7D94 483E 0D46 BB6E