From: Cal Evans <cal@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:00:42
1 Personally, I believe his plan is to blackmail all distros into compliance.
2 If you DON'T change your name, he will post on your mailing list. This will,
3 in effect, clog it with endless messages arguing this silly point back and
4 forth until no work can actually get accomplished.
5
6 It's a fiendishly simple plan. You've got to admire the man. (No really,
7 it's in the GPL, you've GOT to admire the man.)
8
9 =C=
10
11 p.s. for the record, I do admire the contributions that Mr. Stallman has
12 made to the *nix community.
13 *
14 * Cal Evans
15 * The Virtual CIO
16 * http://www.calevans.com
17 *
20 -----Original Message-----
21 From: gentoo-dev-admin@g.o [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@g.o]On
22 Behalf Of Kevyn Shortell
23 Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 6:37 AM
24 To: Thomas M. Beaudry; Moritz Schulte
25 Cc: Greg Corcoran; gentoo-dev@g.o
26 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
29 I don't personally think GNU/Linux is correct. I think that's a
30 bastardization
31 of the name, and it's doing a disservice to everything GNU stood for.
32 It takes away from the efforts of those who've worked there, and
33 focuses everything on RMS's attempt to get recognition for GNU.
34 Note that he doesn't want you to change the name to Linux/GNU. He
35 wants top billing for GNU, he wants GNU/Linux, So why is GNU
36 more important than Linux?
37 <...SNIP...>