From: Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@×××.com>
To: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>, Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
Cc: Greg Corcoran <gregc@××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 06:37:51
1 I don't personally think GNU/Linux is correct. I think that's a bastardization
2 of the name, and it's doing a disservice to everything GNU stood for.
3 It takes away from the efforts of those who've worked there, and
4 focuses everything on RMS's attempt to get recognition for GNU.
5 Note that he doesn't want you to change the name to Linux/GNU. He
6 wants top billing for GNU, he wants GNU/Linux, So why is GNU
7 more important than Linux?
8
9 So while we're at it, We then should be accurate and then call it
10 GNU/KDE/SUN/IBM/QT/Python/Drobbins/partsrippedfrombsd Gentoo Linux.
11
12 Seriously, take a look at how people look at GNU, It's a toolset, it's a
13 compiler, it's a source license, but since when did it become a religious
14 movement, that required people to change their very name, in order
15 to honor it?
16
17 Linux is an operating system, it is a collection of parts. GNU is just
18 one of the many parts, giving in to changing the name for GNU today
19 just means 3 months down the road, the next license that comes along
20 will want the same thing. There is a reason why RedHat, SuSE and
21 Mandrake basically ignored RMS, It makes NO sense to change
22 the name, If RMS wants credit, fine add information in the docs, about
23 how this was made possible by the efforts of the many fine coders at
24 the FSF and GNU Project. Placating RMS, slights the others who have
25 done just as much work, to make this distro what it is. Look at it from
26 a marketing perspective. It's suicide to take a marketable name, and
27 ruin it by adding GNU in front of it. Brand names are marketable because
28 they are unique. They are memorable, they have a image associated with
29 it. GNU/Linux, Just frankly is the worst marketing plan I've ever heard of.
30 You could sell hair dryers to 60 year old bald men easier than trying to
31 market ANYTHING called GNU/Gentoo Linux. In regards to Debian
32 using the GNU tag... Debian was probably hoping to get more publicity
33 from it, as they were in danger of well, ending up where they are...
34
35 I'd rather quit developing, than bow in to political pressure from RMS
36 or anyone else. If you resort to begging or coercing people to give you
37 credit, it creates resentment and bitterness. It's not credit. It's a bribe to
38 get you to leave them alone.
39
40 Kevyn
43 ----- Original Message -----
44 From: "Moritz Schulte" <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
45 To: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
46 Cc: "Greg Corcoran" <gregc@××××××.com>; <gentoo-dev@g.o>
47 Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 3:49 AM
48 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
51 > "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com> writes:
52 >
53 > > Actually an argument for leaving the name as-is. Then you have
54 > > Gentoo Linux, Gentoo Hurd, etc. depending on the kernel that you are
55 > > booting.
56 >
57 > Well, no. "Gentoo Hurd" would not be correct - for the same reason
58 > "Gentoo Linux" is not considered correct. Either it should be "Gentoo
59 > GNU/Hurd" - or simply "Gentoo GNU" - since the Hurd is the official
60 > GNU core and therefore "the GNU system" implies "Hurd based". It's
61 > the same with Debian; we have Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/Hurd.
62 >
63 > Btw: the Hurd is not a kernel (that's why I said "core", actually we
64 > don't have a single word to describe what the Hurd is). The Hurd
65 > consists entirely of user space components, which run on top of a
66 > Microkernel (Mach, at the moment, but the port to the
67 > second-generation microkernel L4 is underway) to provide the system
68 > services one would expect from a Unix like system (file systems,
69 > networking stacks, processes, user/group IDs, authentication, etc.).
70 >
71 > Thanks.
72 > moritz
73 > --
74 > moritz@×××××××××××××××.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
75 > GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06 B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199
77 > gentoo-dev mailing list
78 > gentoo-dev@g.o