From: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@×××.com>
Cc: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>, Greg Corcoran <gregc@××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:24:38
1 "Kevyn Shortell" <kevyn@×××.com> writes:
2
3 Hello,
4
5 let me first clarify this: it is not my intention to nor could I
6 "force" anyone to use the name GNU/Linux instead of Linux. But what
7 we can do of course is discussing this topic.
8
9 > I think that's a bastardization of the name, and it's doing a
10 > disservice to everything GNU stood for.
11
12 I don't understand that. I don't understand in what way mentioning
13 "GNU" in "GNU/Linux" does damage to what GNU stands for.
14
15 > It takes away from the efforts of those who've worked there, and
16 > focuses everything on RMS's attempt to get recognition for GNU.
17
18 Uhm, I also don't understand that. If I understood you correctly, you
19 say that calling the system GNU/Linux "takes away from the efforts of
20 those who've worked there"? I think, the opposite is the case. By
21 not mentioning GNU in the name of the system, we narrow the efforts of
22 the people working on the GNU packages, which make the system usable.
23
24 > Note that he doesn't want you to change the name to Linux/GNU. He
25 > wants top billing for GNU, he wants GNU/Linux, So why is GNU more
26 > important than Linux?
27
28 Well, of course, Linux and GNU components are the most essential
29 pieces of the system, but they are essential in a different way. I
30 could imagine that the order "GNU/Linux" has historical roots. The
31 GNU Project was working on this free, Unix like operating system,
32 named "GNU". Many components of GNU were finished, but the Hurd core
33 was not ready yet. At that time Linux envolved and it became obvious
34 that all the GNU components combined with the Linux component can form
35 a more or less complete operating system. So the name of system
36 wouldn't be GNU anymore - but GNU/Linux.
37
38 > So while we're at it, We then should be accurate and then call it
39 > GNU/KDE/SUN/IBM/QT/Python/Drobbins/partsrippedfrombsd Gentoo Linux.
40
41 Well. There is one difference. If you remove the GNU component of
42 that system, you are in serious trouble, as you _have_ to replace
43 that. Otherwise it wouldn't be fun. But, if you remove what you call
44 "KDE/SUN/IBM/QT/Python/Drobbins/partsrippedfrombsd", you would still
45 have the GNU/Linux system in a working state.
46
47 Of course, we can build a system, which has as few GNU components as
48 possible. There are alternative libc implementation, there are not
49 only GNU compilers, the GNU {shell,file,find,etc}utils could be
50 probably very easily replaced with BSD code or something else. I
51 would not call that GNU/Linux then. But the system we are talking
52 about contains essential GNU software - without it, the system would
53 be quiet useless. It "runs" - I mean, you can also use a nail to put
54 a hammer into the wall.
55
56 > Seriously, take a look at how people look at GNU, It's a toolset,
57 > it's a compiler, it's a source license, but since when did it become
58 > a religious movement, that required people to change their very
59 > name, in order to honor it?
60
61 Well, I don't like at GNU like if it would be only a toolset. Maybe
62 you should browse around http://www.gnu.org/ to get a better overview
63 about what GNU is. Nor is it something religious for me. And of
64 course GNU does not require or force any project to change their name.
65 It's a free decision for those project wether they want to support GNU
66 or not.
67
68 > Linux is an operating system, it is a collection of parts.
69
70 I don't want to disagree with the general sentence "Linux is an
71 operating system" - simply because it is obvious that there are
72 different definitions of "operating system" (I remember for instance
73 that Andrew S. Tanenbaum is using the term "operating system" in his
74 book "Modern Operating Systems" to refer to "kernels"). I can only
75 say that I don't call Linux an operating system, since I prefer
76 another definition.
77
78 > GNU is just one of the many parts, giving in to changing the name
79 > for GNU today just means 3 months down the road, the next license
80 > that comes along will want the same thing.
81
82 As I already wrote in a different mail, it's not about licenses, it is
83 about software components. And, I have to agree with you - if Gentoo
84 plans to substitute all these essential GNU components in Gentoo, then
85 it indeed wouldn't make much sense to change the name to GNU/Linux
86 now. But I am not aware of such plans.
87
88 > There is a reason why RedHat, SuSE and Mandrake basically ignored
89 > RMS, It makes NO sense to change the name, If RMS wants credit, fine
90 > add information in the docs, [...]
91
92 Not RMS wants credit, he doesn't ask Gentoo to use the term RMS/Linux.
93 He wants credit for the GNU Project, which means: many, many other
94 people.
95
96 > It's suicide to take a marketable name, and ruin it by adding GNU in
97 > front of it.
98
99 "ruin it"?
100
101 > Brand names are marketable because they are unique. They are
102 > memorable, they have a image associated with it. GNU/Linux, Just
103 > frankly is the worst marketing plan I've ever heard of.
104
105 Besides the fact that I don't see the point (I don't know much about
106 marketing) - why is marketing that important for Gentoo?
107
108 > Debian was probably hoping to get more publicity from it, as they
109 > were in danger of well, ending up where they are...
110
111 Debian is very different from Gentoo, we know that. But you make that
112 sound so negative - just because it is different? As far as I can
113 see, Debian is a quite successfull operating system.
114
115 > I'd rather quit developing, than bow in to political pressure from
116 > RMS or anyone else.
117
118 Sorry, "pressure"? I remember RMS's mail to this list and seriously,
119 I cannot find a single bit of pressure in it regarding the term
120 GNU/Linux.
121
122 Thanks.
123
124 moritz
125 --
126 moritz@×××××××××××××××.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
127 GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06 B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199