From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:15:05
1 Moritz Schulte [moritz@×××××××××××××××.de] wrote:
2 > "Kevyn Shortell" <kevyn@×××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > Well, of course, Linux and GNU components are the most essential
5 > pieces of the system, but they are essential in a different way. I
6 > could imagine that the order "GNU/Linux" has historical roots. The
7 > GNU Project was working on this free, Unix like operating system,
8 > named "GNU". Many components of GNU were finished, but the Hurd core
9 > was not ready yet. At that time Linux envolved and it became obvious
10 > that all the GNU components combined with the Linux component can form
11 > a more or less complete operating system. So the name of system
12 > wouldn't be GNU anymore - but GNU/Linux.
13 [snip]
14 > Not RMS wants credit, he doesn't ask Gentoo to use the term RMS/Linux.
15 > He wants credit for the GNU Project, which means: many, many other
16 > people.
17
18 I think you misunderstand why RMS does this. I think it really has
19 little to do with giving credit for that development to the developers.
20 That's already done. This is about RMS making sure that the GNU
21 foundation stays at the front of people's thoughts. This is about
22 RMS's free software crusade, thus, it's entirely about marketing.
23 He needs GNU to continue to be a name in common usage, and to keep
24 his group in out there in front of people. It's all about the cause.
25
26 I understand this, and I can appreciate what he is trying to do. I
27 just don't agree that this is the way to go about it. If in fact
28 I'm wrong, and it IS about the credit, then I disagree even more.
29 To make this issue about giving credit means that they overstate
30 their own importance in the big scheme of things. I am thankfull
31 for those who did the work, as well as the work they did, but if
32 they hadn't done it someone else would have. To think that they
33 are or were somehow critically important to this movement is
34 incredibly foolish. Nobody is indispensible, that's the beauty
35 of it. Any of us could disappear of the face of the earth and
36 someone else would pop up to take our place, and things would
37 keep going.