From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
To: Robert Moss <robmoss@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, coyote@×××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3.4 and ~x86
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:40:45
1 Robert Moss wrote:
2 > As far as I can tell, the SSE2 bugs have only hit 3.4.2, which is now
3 > masked. 3.4.1 appears to be fine, and indeed less broken for SSE2 than
4 > 3.3.x. The CXX bugs will only come out of the woodwork with testing, so
5 > some testing (~x86) would be nice.
6
7 *cough*bullshit*cough*
8
9 most of the sse2 bugs have been there since 3.4.0 and the release
10 manager even commented on them not being fixed (after once again
11 targeting them for the next release). Scott Ladd is going to be working
12 on them, so hopefully we'll see some fixes:
13 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-09/msg00936.html
14
15 The CXX bugs you're referring to only happen for nptl users, who have a
16 broken pthread.h which isnt parsable by g++ in any way. this is fixed in
17 the latest glibc snapshot, but that snapshot has a ton of issues of it's
18 own... like -requiring- 2.6 kernel headers, semi-broken libresolv, etc.
19 I'll break out a patch and apply it to older snapshots, but the result
20 of that snapshot was so discouraging I havent really wanted to touch glibc.
23 > 3.5 is now 4.0, and as far as I know I'm the only person doing serious
24 > testing (testsuites included). From what I've seen so far, it's fairly
25 > rock-solid for where it is at the moment (early stage3), certainly more
26 > so than 3.4 was; there are still internal compiler errors on important
27 > stuff like glibc but these invariably get fixed in the last week-long
28 > "big push" where they desperately call for testers in a mad rush to get
29 > the thing released! That said, there's no way gcc-4 will be in ~x86 for
30 > 2004.3, almost no way (unless it surprises me) it'll be in ~x86 for
31 > 2004.0, but may be in most ~arches for 2004.1, assuming the slightly
32 > stronger code strictness doesn't cause to many nasty bugs and assuming
33 > we can iron out all the ICEs.
34
35 O_O
36 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2004-09/msg00771.html
37 look at those testsuite results for amd64 for today...
38
39 though, at the rate things are going, we might have 4.0 stable before 3.4.
42 Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list