From: Robert Moss <robmoss@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3.4 and ~x86
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:09:37
1 > correct.
2 >
3 > From the reports we are getting in/about 3.4.x and SSE2 and or
4 > fundamental CXX bugs the chances are looking pretty slim to none that
5 > 3.4.x will be targeted for the next release cycle for many/most arches.
6 > With development being stopped on the 3.4.x series and the 3.5 being
7 > sorta a mess I can't see us leaving the existing toolchain setup for a
8 > while expect maybe for a push of binutils-2.15 to stable on a few
9 > arches.
10
11 As far as I can tell, the SSE2 bugs have only hit 3.4.2, which is now
12 masked. 3.4.1 appears to be fine, and indeed less broken for SSE2 than
13 3.3.x. The CXX bugs will only come out of the woodwork with testing, so
14 some testing (~x86) would be nice.
15
16 3.5 is now 4.0, and as far as I know I'm the only person doing serious
17 testing (testsuites included). From what I've seen so far, it's fairly
18 rock-solid for where it is at the moment (early stage3), certainly more
19 so than 3.4 was; there are still internal compiler errors on important
20 stuff like glibc but these invariably get fixed in the last week-long
21 "big push" where they desperately call for testers in a mad rush to get
22 the thing released! That said, there's no way gcc-4 will be in ~x86 for
23 2004.3, almost no way (unless it surprises me) it'll be in ~x86 for
24 2004.0, but may be in most ~arches for 2004.1, assuming the slightly
25 stronger code strictness doesn't cause to many nasty bugs and assuming
26 we can iron out all the ICEs.