From: Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
To: Robert Moss <robmoss@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GCC 3.4 and ~x86
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:57:57
1 2004.0/2004.1? time warp? 2005.0/.1?
2
3 assuming the slightly stronger code strictness doesn't cause to many
4 nasty bugs and assuming we can iron out all the ICEs.
5
6 ^^ yeah sure like we will have more devs help test a new toolchain, you
7 forget it doesnt come with translucency and shadows, something that
8 guarantees you plenty of (dev) testers, what's gcc, just some thing
9 portage calls to build stuff, who would care about that?
10 so much easier to complain about things than help fix them
14 > 3.5 is now 4.0, and as far as I know I'm the only person doing serious
15 > testing (testsuites included). From what I've seen so far, it's fairly
16 > rock-solid for where it is at the moment (early stage3), certainly
17 > more so than 3.4 was; there are still internal compiler errors on
18 > important stuff like glibc but these invariably get fixed in the last
19 > week-long "big push" where they desperately call for testers in a mad
20 > rush to get the thing released! That said, there's no way gcc-4 will
21 > be in ~x86 for 2004.3, almost no way (unless it surprises me) it'll be
22 > in ~x86 for 2004.0, but may be in most ~arches for 2004.1, assuming
23 > the slightly stronger code strictness doesn't cause to many nasty bugs
24 > and assuming we can iron out all the ICEs.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list