From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:22:10
1 On Saturday 07 August 2004 20:07, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On Saturday 07 August 2004 00:57, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > Even with all that, a full dependency tree is built with all circular
4 > > dependencies resolved in about 6 seconds, where currently emerge takes
5 > > about 2 seconds. I can't see a way to get USE-based SLOTs in without at
6 > > least doubling that figure (which is incidentally the time that 2.0.50
7 > > took). I'm open to suggestions on how to get around it.
8 >
9 > Maybe I'm not understanding this fully, but couldn't you just compute the
10 > dependency tree once and then cache it? And allow quick updates to the
11 > cached info by only editing dependency links for a single ebuild when it
12 > changes. You'd need to cache the dependencies for different sets of use
13 > flags as well.
14
15 The dependencies of a single package with a single set of conditions don't
16 take long to calculate. The issue is that, real soon, packages are going to
17 be able to specify some of those conditions for other packages. Figuring out
18 the best combination of packages/conditions and whether it is indeed possible
19 (ie. no conflicts) is what takes the time.
20
21 Regards,
22 Jason Stubbs
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list