From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Half of the firmware packages in tree install to wrong directory
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:25:57
1 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2
3 >On 09/02/13 11:11, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >> Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>>>>>> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> 2013/2/8 Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>:
9 >>>>> I would say that we might want to review linux-firmware, and if
10 >the
11 >>>>> newest firmware _is_ there, just get rid of the split one.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>> That should be probably the best approach, to actually kill of the
14 >>>> lone ones and keep the linux-firmware only.
15 >>>
16 >>> I disagree. Why should we force users to install lots of crap (some
17 >of
18 >>> it being non-free) that they will never need because they don't have
19 >>> the hardware?
20 >>>
21 >>> Ulrich
22 >>
23 >> Why not specify which firmwares are to be installed using a
24 >'FIRMWARE' variable. Similar to VIDEOCARDS?
25 >
26 >Read my last reply. It's already supported through savedconfig.eclass.
27 >You only get what you want.
28
29 I read it. Came after I sent my reply.
30
31 Not familiar with that class myself. Will take your word it allows limiting the firmware.
32
33 I, as a user, prefer not to have to hunt for firmware for devices supported vy the kernel. I would either install all of them or filter out the firmwares for devices I am unlikely to get.
36 Joost Roeleveld
37 --
38 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.