From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Half of the firmware packages in tree install to wrong directory
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:14:06
1 On 09/02/13 11:11, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>>>> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> 2013/2/8 Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>:
7 >>>> I would say that we might want to review linux-firmware, and if the
8 >>>> newest firmware _is_ there, just get rid of the split one.
9 >>>>
10 >>> That should be probably the best approach, to actually kill of the
11 >>> lone ones and keep the linux-firmware only.
12 >>
13 >> I disagree. Why should we force users to install lots of crap (some of
14 >> it being non-free) that they will never need because they don't have
15 >> the hardware?
16 >>
17 >> Ulrich
18 >
19 > Why not specify which firmwares are to be installed using a 'FIRMWARE' variable. Similar to VIDEOCARDS?
20
21 Read my last reply. It's already supported through savedconfig.eclass.
22 You only get what you want.