From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:54:13
1 Am Freitag, 6. April 2007 00:41 schrieb Vlastimil Babka:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > >>> Breaking EAPI=0 via pushing slot deps in isn't much of an option
4 > >>> in my opinion; usual "needs to have been on release media for at
5 > >>> least 6
6 > >>
7 > >> We can push for an EAPI=1 == (EAPI=0 + slot deps)...
8 > >
9 > > Can, yep, although that was originally blocked by "EAPI=0 must be
10 > > defined", which folks seem to have backed off on.
11 >
12 > Not sure if slot deps themselves could even replace version ranges
13 > hacks without also solving bug 4315 (native version ranges) in all
14 > cases. IMHO it should be possible at least to specify slot+usual
15 > version limit, to make it worth EAPI bump.
16
17 Please have a look at the slot dep format proposal. AFAIK none of the
18 P{aludis,kgcore,ortage} devs disagreed on that.
19 >
20 > > One issue with adding EAPI=1 having just slot deps is that it skips
21 > > out on some long term changes intended- default src_install for
22 >
23 > So what, longer term changes could wait for EAPI=2. Why not make
24 > experience with EAPI bumping with something smaller for a start,
25 > instead of trying to make one big bump that will bring all changes we
26 > can think of now, but will be implemented only in 2010...
27 I agree fully. Nobody said we can't finetune the EAPI steps/bumps.
28
29 > Now it may look like I contradict myself saying to bump ASAP but not
30 > without solving bug 4315 first. But I see slot deps without limits
31 > only half of a feature.
32 Nobody but talked about that.
33
34 Danny
35 --
36 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
37 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list