From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 21:05:43
1 On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 3:35 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 > I think that unikernels are something everyone should be aware of
5 > as they purport to be the latest trend in securing all sorts of systems.
6 > (a brief read).
9 Not really for all sorts, more for servers. Otherwise I get it, and
10 at this point now that I run almost everything in containers I tend to
11 be more inclined to run different distros in those containers.
12
13 > This is only the case because profiles are in general in a mess and there
14 > are little in the way of conventions. What is so sacrosanct about upstream
15 > for a truly embedded gentoo system or a gentoo based IoT device?
16
17 Nothing, in that space.
18
19 The problem is the new user experience. When somebody is new to
20 Gentoo and not super-knowledgeable the first thing they're going to do
21 is set up a desktop. Now, they might not call it a desktop. They
22 might not even run X11 on it. But, they're basically falling into
23 that desktop user experience where whatever they do install "just
24 works" and is feature-complete.
25
26 It is true that we also attract advanced users who are looking for
27 something different. They have no issues getting any distro to dance
28 for them, and they're picking Gentoo because it is best suited for
29 their specific need. These users are much more likely to be
30 interested in minimal configurations, embedded systems, the hardened
31 profiles, and so on.
32
33 However, the problem is that if we optimize mainly for the second
34 group we basically lose the first group entirely, and I suspect that
35 is overall going to be the bigger group.
36
37 If what you want is a "unikernel profile" for Gentoo then you're going
38 to be changing a LOT of assumptions. Forget openrc vs systemd, there
39 is no reason to have any init implementation on the thing. Forget
40 linux vs bsd, there is also no reason to have a kernel in a container.
41 We don't need any editor because you're probably going to do any
42 config file editing from outside of the container. And that @system
43 set that has all that bootstrapping stuff is probably way overkill if
44 all you ultimately need is a single package to work (and maybe not all
45 of that package). Heck, your overall install approach also should be
46 questioned. Rather than build your unikernel from inside its own
47 container, you should be building from a more complete image and just
48 installing the minimum RDEPENDs in the production container (as with
49 catalyst or the chromiumos builds). And you probably wouldn't be
50 upgrading such things in place either, you'd just be creating newer
51 instances and cutting over from the old.
52
53 I don't question that it would be great for Gentoo to support all of
54 this stuff. I just think that we need to be careful not to destroy
55 the experience of somebody who just wants a "typical" install in order
56 to do it. Somebody who doesn't want to take the time to tweak how
57 their java implementation works probably wants the default install to
58 be something that meets the Oracle standard. Now, somebody who is
59 into tailoring can look at their application and tweak the living
60 daylights out of it, but that shouldn't be what you get when you run
61 "emerge icedtea" or whatever.
62
63 Sure, you could do all that with a profile, but the problem is:
64 1. Maintainers aren't going to necessarily invest in that profile.
65 2. New users won't necessarily use that new profile.
66
67 And when those things doesn't happen users look at Gentoo as the OS
68 that nothing works right on.
71 Rich