From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 23:29:05
1 On 02/02/2017 04:05 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 3:35 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 >> I think that unikernels are something everyone should be aware of
6 >> as they purport to be the latest trend in securing all sorts of systems.
7 >> (a brief read).
10 > Not really for all sorts, more for servers. Otherwise I get it, and
11 > at this point now that I run almost everything in containers I tend to
12 > be more inclined to run different distros in those containers.
13 >
14 >> This is only the case because profiles are in general in a mess and there
15 >> are little in the way of conventions. What is so sacrosanct about upstream
16 >> for a truly embedded gentoo system or a gentoo based IoT device?
17 >
18 > Nothing, in that space.
19 >
20 > The problem is the new user experience. When somebody is new to
21 > Gentoo and not super-knowledgeable the first thing they're going to do
22 > is set up a desktop. Now, they might not call it a desktop. They
23 > might not even run X11 on it. But, they're basically falling into
24 > that desktop user experience where whatever they do install "just
25 > works" and is feature-complete.
26
27 Wow, I'm shocked. Perhaps you have forgotten that is was "I" that
28 bemoaned and protested ad nauseam for a simple, basic desktop
29 for the noob moving to or just testing gentoo? Needless to say the
30 majority of long term folks on gentoo-user, prefer to run those noobs
31 off. (Remember I was on gentoo-user for 12 years, by the hour.)
32 Now our gentoo distro is catering and concerned about these folks?
33 (excuse me but I haft to roll around on the floor a bit to get some
34 belly laughter out....) ok, I'm back now. Nobody give a damn about the
35 gentoo noob; that's why it is gentoo policy not to have an installer.
39 > It is true that we also attract advanced users who are looking for
40 > something different. They have no issues getting any distro to dance
41 > for them, and they're picking Gentoo because it is best suited for
42 > their specific need. These users are much more likely to be
43 > interested in minimal configurations, embedded systems, the hardened
44 > profiles, and so on.
45
46 This pool is growing and many are contributing.... hardened on top
47 of minimal.... very very cool.
48
49 > However, the problem is that if we optimize mainly for the second
50 > group we basically lose the first group entirely, and I suspect that
51 > is overall going to be the bigger group.
52
53 Nope, sorry, I have to disagree. Please explain why we cannot, in the
54 profiles, support both groups. The (minimal) embedded profile pathway
55 need not be mentioned in the handbook. But, perhaps in the
56 gentoo-embedded-handbook it could be introduced ? If the embedded devs are
57 offended, then it could be unser it's own profile:: spartan, monopod,
58 minimized or any self identifying moniker.
61 > If what you want is a "unikernel profile" for Gentoo then you're going
62 > to be changing a LOT of assumptions.
63
64 Oops, hit the brakes! Unikernels the way that unikerel.org describes
65 them is more of a enhanced state machine boot_code or an executive
66 or a linux kernel plus one lib. Sorry but that's not the only vision
67 and mine is to build highly targeted 'minimal' gentoo systems that can
68 dynamically shed and load new frameworks (groups of packages and codes
69 and such) on top of the 'default set' or embedded set of packages. So it
70 can become a full blown mail server or a singular monotonic device, just
71 sniffing ethernet, without a reboot. I'm betting the farm that my vision
72 of minimal/embedded gentoo will be far more successful than those folks
73 pushing proprietary Unikernel products. Still the generic moniker
74 'unikernel' is the closest commonly used moniker to where I'm driving
75 too, I so 'lifted' it from those folks. Goals are similar but mine is a
76 minimized gentoo, at it's core and dynamically flexible without reboot.
80 > Forget openrc vs systemd, there
81 > is no reason to have any init implementation on the thing. Forget
82 > linux vs bsd, there is also no reason to have a kernel in a container.
83 > We don't need any editor because you're probably going to do any
84 > config file editing from outside of the container. And that @system
85 > set that has all that bootstrapping stuff is probably way overkill if
86 > all you ultimately need is a single package to work (and maybe not all
87 > of that package). Heck, your overall install approach also should be
88 > questioned. Rather than build your unikernel from inside its own
89 > container, you should be building from a more complete image and just
90 > installing the minimum RDEPENDs in the production container (as with
91 > catalyst or the chromiumos builds). And you probably wouldn't be
92 > upgrading such things in place either, you'd just be creating newer
93 > instances and cutting over from the old.
94
95 I agree with you on this, absolutely. But you are far off from my
96 branch of the profile tree and my pathway forward, so it's accurate
97 but completely uncharacteristic to what I'm developing.
100 > I don't question that it would be great for Gentoo to support all of
101 > this stuff. I just think that we need to be careful not to destroy
102 > the experience of somebody who just wants a "typical" install in order
103 > to do it. Somebody who doesn't want to take the time to tweak how
104 > their java implementation works probably wants the default install to
105 > be something that meets the Oracle standard. Now, somebody who is
106 > into tailoring can look at their application and tweak the living
107 > daylights out of it, but that shouldn't be what you get when you run
108 > "emerge icedtea" or whatever.
111 I just do not see your 'either or scenario' as the only possibility. For
112 example, in a recent gentoo-dev thread, those profile owners (devs)
113 were asked to step forward and state the viability going forward of a
114 profile review thread. If one of those devs wants one of those itemized
115 profiles to continue to exist, is it going to be forcibly deleted? (no)
116
117 So all I have to do is convince (beg?) one dev to have a place in the
118 profile tree that is not subservient to upstream dictates? Perhaps
119 another way forward for my work? (Glep-70?)
122 > Sure, you could do all that with a profile, but the problem is:
123 > 1. Maintainers aren't going to necessarily invest in that profile.
124
125 Can I proxy-maintain a profile for minimized gentoo clusters?
126 Can I share a profile with another compatible (need) profile ?
129 > 2. New users won't necessarily use that new profile.
130
131 That would be excellent. That's why there are many choices for profiles,
132 right?
135 > And when those things doesn't happen users look at Gentoo as the OS
136 > that nothing works right on.
137
138 Non-sequitur....
139 user's will be on a handbook delineated profile choice; capable users
140 will be able to navigate handbook choices and other available profiles,
141 or seek (neddy?) guidance. The profile I'm talking about could
142 be logically under the old branch of 'experimental' if that survives
143 too. But would be best as close to the root of the profile tree, as
144 possible. The least amount of packages installed, is best, and located
145 in a different branch than the default or whatever the new name is where
146 a plethora of upstream issues exit. None of this would be a burden
147 to ebuilds, if they do not work, so be it, I can and will fix what I
148 need from upstream. Every week, that list grows shorter and shorter,
149 particularly for the minimal builds.
152 Hopefully I have justified and succinctly stated my vision, is
153 accommodation not possible? All I really need is a minimized (a least or
154 very low set of packages) profile that is not so concerned with most of
155 the upstream projects and the noise found therein.
158 hth,
159 James