From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] RFC: Graveyard project
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:21:35
1 On 14 February 2013 16:55, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina <zerochaos@g.o>wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 02/14/2013 04:31 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
7 > > Hi guys and girls,
8 > >
9 > > We hereby announce the formation of the Graveyard project [1]. It aims
10 > > to provide users with an overlay for packages removed from portage.
11 > > Users are expressly invited to partake in this project, to help
12 > > maintain the graveyard overlay [2]. We will also help organize a
13 > > central space to host distfiles that are no longer mirrored by Gentoo
14 > > and have a broken upstream link. We use the #gentoo-dev-help channel
15 > > on Freenode for coordination, as well as our project space on the wiki
16 > > [3].
17 >
18 > What exactly is wrong with the current cvs attic space? I've salvaged
19 > old ebuilds and it was a completely painless process.
20 >
21 > Things that have been treecleaned were not just haphazardly removed,
22 > there is typically very good (often security or complete build failure
23 > related) reasons for this to happen. Running an overlay of old,
24 > outdated, unbuildable, security vulnerable software... I know there is
25 > no formal process for rejecting a gentoo project but even this idea
26 > makes me want to get council approval for an extension to the gentoo
27 > project guidelines.
28 >
29 > If users want to salvage things from the cvs attic and put them into
30 > SUNRISE after fixing them up I'm fine with it, but the whole idea of
31 > this is bad for gentoo developers, bad for gentoo users, bad for gentoo
32 > image, I just don't see a single advantage to this and so many
33 > disadvantages.
34 >
35 > Please, this needs to not happen.
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > Zero
41 > > Please feel free to join us!
42 > >
43 > > 1: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/graveyard/
44 > > 2: https://github.com/gentoo/graveyard
45 > > 3: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Graveyard
69 IMO, all these reasons are solved by the statement: "This is why it will be
70 an OVERLAY and there will be no stable packages even if they were stable in
71 the tree before masking for removal". Packages that have tons of security
72 issues or do not build whatsoever will obviously not be added (unless
73 someone wants to give us a patch or 2 to solve those problems). Sunrise is
74 the wrong place for stuff that still works. Sunrise is about stuff incoming
75 to the tree (hopefully eventually) not outgoing from the tree.
76
77 The reason for this overlay is for packages like: media-tv/ivtv and
78 net-wireless/at76c503a which seem to be masked for removal because they're
79 deprecated and likely still work. Perhaps a user is having problems with
80 the driver that replaced either of these and is still using th old one
81 since it works fine for his hardware. There are tons of good reasons to
82 keep old packages around, yes a few possible bad ones as well, but that's
83 the case with almost anything.