From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] RFC: Graveyard project
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:55:45
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 02/14/2013 04:31 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
5 > Hi guys and girls,
6 >
7 > We hereby announce the formation of the Graveyard project [1]. It aims
8 > to provide users with an overlay for packages removed from portage.
9 > Users are expressly invited to partake in this project, to help
10 > maintain the graveyard overlay [2]. We will also help organize a
11 > central space to host distfiles that are no longer mirrored by Gentoo
12 > and have a broken upstream link. We use the #gentoo-dev-help channel
13 > on Freenode for coordination, as well as our project space on the wiki
14 > [3].
15
16 What exactly is wrong with the current cvs attic space? I've salvaged
17 old ebuilds and it was a completely painless process.
18
19 Things that have been treecleaned were not just haphazardly removed,
20 there is typically very good (often security or complete build failure
21 related) reasons for this to happen. Running an overlay of old,
22 outdated, unbuildable, security vulnerable software... I know there is
23 no formal process for rejecting a gentoo project but even this idea
24 makes me want to get council approval for an extension to the gentoo
25 project guidelines.
26
27 If users want to salvage things from the cvs attic and put them into
28 SUNRISE after fixing them up I'm fine with it, but the whole idea of
29 this is bad for gentoo developers, bad for gentoo users, bad for gentoo
30 image, I just don't see a single advantage to this and so many
31 disadvantages.
32
33 Please, this needs to not happen.
34