From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy-dev (an alternative to sunrise?)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:38:17
1 On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 22:09 +0200, Robert Cernansky wrote:
2 > On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:49:02 +0200 Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 21:27:31 +0200, Robert Cernansky wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > I just understand it so, that if a user submits a new ebuild he has to
7 > > > in fact maintain it. So overall maintenance time required by his
8 > > > operating system will be pretty high. Because besides the
9 > > > 'emerge --sync' and 'emerge -u world', he needs take care of "his"
10 > > > ebuilds.
11 > >
12 > > I think you misunderstood luis' proposition. Everything would go on
13 > > as now, including users submitting ebuilds on bugzilla and not
14 > > "maintainaing" them anymore, but there would also be the solution of
15 > > asking to do more and being
16 > > a user_maintaining_an_ebuild_through_a_proxy_dev. If you don't want
17 > > to do that or don't have the time, and I expect it will be the case
18 > > of 99.9% of the users, it's fine. This project is only here for the
19 > > remaining 0.1 %.
20 >
21 > So it is something like communication channel between developers and
22 > users willing to maintain some ebuild? If yes, it is great. I see no
23 > problem then.
24 >
25 > Robert
28 Not only for communication but to help developers too. I'm a
29 proxy/sponsor for a few packages and i'm very happy with the procedure.
30 Users maintain the best they can and we review their work and commit.
31 This is very good because we can teach anything users need and it's a
32 good thing too increase communication as long as everybody follow the
33 policies.
37 Gentoo Linux Developer
38 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list