From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using gentoo-announce for more routine decision/ebuild announcements
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 05:40:21
1 lör 2001-11-03 klockan 08.58 skrev Dan Armak:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > > > This can include various decisions - unified ebuild style, install ->
5 > > > /usr, etc. and announcements of important/interesting new ebuilds and
6 > > > major new versions of existing ones.
7 > >
8 > > However I don't agree with you here. IMHO gentoo-announce should be for
9 > > _users_, Gentoo-dev is for posting such things as "unified ebuild
10 > > style".
11 > >
12 > > install -> /usr should defenatly be at gentoo-announce.
15 > I think gentoo-announce should be read by both users and developers, but I
16 > agree that some topics may be better off on gentoo-dev. Something better
17 > fitting on gentoo-announce might be, "We have a new document on the site
18 > about the new unified ebuild style". After all, all gentoo users are
19 > potential ebuild writers.
20
21 Yes, it should be read by both. But the information should be for users
22 (and of course developers are users too so they'll read the information
23 as users).
24
25 > > > I for one am tired of reading the cvs logs, and as Azarah says, most of
26 > > > us aren't on IRC 24/7 and can't follow all the discussions that take
27 > > > place.
28 > >
29 > > Hmm .. I think that all developers should read the cvs logs, it takes
30 > > about 2 minutes each day to read. I you haven't subscribe to the
31 > > cvs-list and you'll get a mail with all changes every day.
32 > I do read the cvs logs. Perhaps a better point would have been that they are
33 > usually very short and if I see something interesting I have to look it up.
34
35 It is short and if you want to look something up you look in gentoo-dev
36 or emails the guy who made the change.
37
38 > > I'd think that 1 mail/day to gentoo-announce would be far to much. This
39 > > should be a list for people interested in gentoo or users that don't
40 > > want to follow the discussions, just the decissions.
41 >
42 > Well, maybe 1 in two days, but I think that things of medium importance
43 > should be in as well, not just the big ones like install->/usr. Like
44 > drobbins's recent announcements of new Portage versions, any major new
45 > versions of major apps should be announced. We'll see how many messages that
46 > makes, and if there are too many, we can do more aggressive filtering.
47
48 Since this list is for those that want's to stay tuned on what's
49 happening in the project without having to read the discussions on
50 gentoo-user/gentoo-dev messages should only be about things that users
51 might care about.
52
53 A new version of Portage would of course fall in this category since
54 users won't be able to use newer ebuilds without it.
55
56 I think that things like "Finally Evolution works, added RC1..." or
57 "KDE3 is now added to portage, read about it on http://...."
58
59 > Also, in case you've missed it, Drobbins quietly agreed to a test period of
60 > sorts. Send any announcements to the list, it's moderated.
61
62 Yeah, I snapped it up on IRC.
63
64 Regards,
65 Mikael Hallendal
68 Mikael Hallendal
69 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
70 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden