From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using gentoo-announce for more routine decision/ebuild announcements
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 01:00:10
1 Hi,
2
3 > > This can include various decisions - unified ebuild style, install ->
4 > > /usr, etc. and announcements of important/interesting new ebuilds and
5 > > major new versions of existing ones.
6 >
7 > However I don't agree with you here. IMHO gentoo-announce should be for
8 > _users_, Gentoo-dev is for posting such things as "unified ebuild
9 > style".
10 >
11 > install -> /usr should defenatly be at gentoo-announce.
14 I think gentoo-announce should be read by both users and developers, but I
15 agree that some topics may be better off on gentoo-dev. Something better
16 fitting on gentoo-announce might be, "We have a new document on the site
17 about the new unified ebuild style". After all, all gentoo users are
18 potential ebuild writers.
19
20 > > I for one am tired of reading the cvs logs, and as Azarah says, most of
21 > > us aren't on IRC 24/7 and can't follow all the discussions that take
22 > > place.
23 >
24 > Hmm .. I think that all developers should read the cvs logs, it takes
25 > about 2 minutes each day to read. I you haven't subscribe to the
26 > cvs-list and you'll get a mail with all changes every day.
27 I do read the cvs logs. Perhaps a better point would have been that they are
28 usually very short and if I see something interesting I have to look it up.
31 > > In my view the optimal volume would be around 1 message per day,
32 > > sometimes 2, with the messages being short and succint and any
33 > > discussions taking place on a different list (gentoo-dev, -user, or the
34 > > team lists).
35 >
36 > I'd think that 1 mail/day to gentoo-announce would be far to much. This
37 > should be a list for people interested in gentoo or users that don't
38 > want to follow the discussions, just the decissions.
39 Well, maybe 1 in two days, but I think that things of medium importance
40 should be in as well, not just the big ones like install->/usr. Like
41 drobbins's recent announcements of new Portage versions, any major new
42 versions of major apps should be announced. We'll see how many messages that
43 makes, and if there are too many, we can do more aggressive filtering.
44
45 Also, in case you've missed it, Drobbins quietly agreed to a test period of
46 sorts. Send any announcements to the list, it's moderated.
50 Dan Armak
51 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
52 Matan, Israel