From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Broken ebuilds
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:31:19
1 On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM, P.C.
2 <gedeli.pasc.pcz@××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > Is that "ebuild decay" intentional? How long I can expect ebuilds to
5 > stay useful?
6
7 There really are no guarantees for anything not in the current tree.
8 The EAPIs/eclasses themselves are pretty well-designed and while
9 breakage over a period of years is likely, over a period of months it
10 is not.
11
12 However, your problem is that a patch set was hosted only on mirrors
13 and not anywhere more permanent. In general mirror-only patch hosting
14 is frowned upon - they should have a SRC_URI that doesn't start with
15 mirror://. However, that doesn't guarantee that those patches will be
16 hosted forever. I keep them in my gentoo webspace and don't really
17 rush to clean them up, but that space is not archived anywhere.
18
19 Google suggests that you might be in luck if you manually fetch your
20 file from here:
21 http://dev.gentoo.org/~floppym/python/
22
23 I think there might have been a little talk about better solutions for
24 file-hosting that might address some of these problems, but I'm not
25 aware of any serious work being done.
26
27 Rich