From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Broken ebuilds
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 03:49:34
1 Rich Freeman posted on Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:31:12 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM, P.C.
4 > <gedeli.pasc.pcz@××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Is that "ebuild decay" intentional? How long I can expect ebuilds to
7 >> stay useful?
8 >
9 > There really are no guarantees for anything not in the current tree. The
10 > EAPIs/eclasses themselves are pretty well-designed and while breakage
11 > over a period of years is likely, over a period of months it is not.
12 >
13 > However, your problem is that a patch set was hosted only on mirrors and
14 > not anywhere more permanent. In general mirror-only patch hosting is
15 > frowned upon - they should have a SRC_URI that doesn't start with
16 > mirror://. However, that doesn't guarantee that those patches will be
17 > hosted forever. I keep them in my gentoo webspace and don't really rush
18 > to clean them up, but that space is not archived anywhere.
19 >
20 > Google suggests that you might be in luck if you manually fetch your
21 > file from here:
22 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~floppym/python/
23 >
24 > I think there might have been a little talk about better solutions for
25 > file-hosting that might address some of these problems, but I'm not
26 > aware of any serious work being done.
27 >
28 > Rich
29
30 Note that mirror-only patch hosting isn't just frowned upon, it can at
31 times be a license violation as well. As a foundation trustee last year,
32 Rich, you're very likely aware of this already, but for others...
33
34 It's worth noting that this sort of thing at at least one point in the
35 past caused gentoo to be in violation of the GPL. That doesn't apply in
36 this case as python isn't GPL (tho I've not looked; it may have a similar
37 license clause), but it's worth being aware of for GPLed packages at
38 least.
39
40 In the normal case gentoo's source-based which means the relevant GPL
41 binary-distribution clauses don't apply, but we do distribute live-CDs
42 and sometimes binary-package CDs, with binary packages/executables on
43 both. For at least the (L)GPLed packages, that means we either have to
44 be very careful to offer all the sources at the same time and in the same
45 manner as we do the binaries (if for instance we're handing out live-cds
46 at a conference, having a cd of the relevant sources available as well
47 fits the bill, whether people actually take it or not is then their
48 choice, we offered it at the same time and in the same manner), *OR* we
49 must make *ALL* relevant sources (including any patches applied to that
50 specific binary build) available for a period of at least three years
51 from when we last distributed the binaries.
52
53 That's the GPL2 terms AFAIK. GPL3 is similar but I'm not as familiar
54 with the specific conditions.
55
56 Since three years is a long time in gentoo terms and things can get lost,
57 ensuring that we're making sources available at/in the same time/place/
58 manner as we're distributing the binaries is by *FAR* the easiest and
59 legally safest way to go.
60
61 That said, we really SHOULD be covering our three-year bases as well,
62 just in case, and have an archive for such patches. Can't they be
63 checked into some cvs/git/whatever tree somewhere too, just as are the
64 ebuild and eclass sources, so if that request does actually come, it's a
65 "simple" matter of checking out the tree at the appropriate date/time,
66 tarballing it up, and shipping it as-is? That'd certainly include all
67 sorts of unrelated patches for other packages as well, but the ones
68 required by the license and thus the law would be included. And once
69 it's setup, there's actually little reason to limit it to GPLed packages
70 or to three years. Just make read-only access to that repo as public as
71 access to our normal sources, and we should be good to go... it'll be
72 self-service so actually having to manually deal with such a request will
73 be far less likely, but possible as well, should it be needed.
78 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman