From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:33:11
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 21:06, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > >
3 > > I'm probably missing something, but having an rsync server set up to
4 > > return the stable trees seems rather silly, since those trees never
5 > > change (only the "updates" trees change). A tarball would seem much
6 > > simpler, and the appropriate tarball could be included on the livecd for
7 > > that release.
8 >
9 > Actually, the rsync server should check the variable VERSION (or
10 > whatever) and update accordingly. Maybe we could do something as simple
11
12 Stable does not change per defenition, so a tarbal is way more efficient than
13 an rsync server calling home once in a while to check that indeed, nothing
14 changed.
15
16 > as putting a 2004.0-release file in the /usr/portage, so when VERSION
17 > changes to 2004.1, they no longer match and the 2004.1 tree is rsync'd
18 > instead.
19
20 That can be done with tarballs just as well. However don't expect syncing a
21 tree to be the only thing to be done when updating. In general updating is
22 more involved. If you say hook off your gentoo machine for a year and then
23 try to update it is not at all trivial. You need to ensure that you update
24 things in the right order, and sometimes even need to apply some force. We
25 can find out that order in advance to make it easy for users, but don't
26 pretend it is trivial.
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze