From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:04:50
1 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 13:03, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > > So if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting having a total of 8
3 > > rsync branches:
4 > >
5 > > gentoo-2004.0-stable
6 > > gentoo-2004.0-updates
7 > > gentoo-2004.1-stable
8 > > gentoo-2004.1-updates
9 > > ...
10 > > gentoo-2004.3-updates
11 >
12 > I'm probably missing something, but having an rsync server set up to
13 > return the stable trees seems rather silly, since those trees never
14 > change (only the "updates" trees change). A tarball would seem much
15 > simpler, and the appropriate tarball could be included on the livecd for
16 > that release.
17
18 Actually, the rsync server should check the variable VERSION (or
19 whatever) and update accordingly. Maybe we could do something as simple
20 as putting a 2004.0-release file in the /usr/portage, so when VERSION
21 changes to 2004.1, they no longer match and the 2004.1 tree is rsync'd
22 instead.
23
24 The idea is to allow the user to upgrade to a new release easily, the
25 actual implementation is still up in the air. I'm just throwing out
26 suggestions.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Developer, Gentoo Linux
31 Games Team