From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] metadata.xml GLEP for review
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 14:37:55
1 On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 20:37:30 +0100
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Therefore, I've been slowly writing a proper GLEP that would describe
6 > > all of metadata.xml in detail. Here's the current draft for review:
7 >
8 > Sounds like a good idea!
9 >
10 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:68
11 >
12 > I reviewed your spec based on my experience from trying to create a
13 > RELAX NG schema for all metadata.xml files that were in the tree at
14 > the time. I assume you've also validated your spec against what's
15 > actually being used? I have a few questions:
16
17 Small update here:
18
19 > - I had the upstream maintainer's email element pegged as mandatory.
20 > Don't you think that makes sense? A name-only maintainer element seems
21 > relatively low-value to me.
22
23 I've re-read the spec today and confirmed this with one of the authors.
24 For upstream, name is mandatory, e-mail is not.
25
26 > - You list a number of the upstream child elements (changelog, doc,
27 > bug-to) as "zero or more". Doesn't it make sense to make (some of)
28 > these zero or one?
29
30 dev-zero explained this to me. The original intent was that each of
31 those elements could be used at most once, however DTD limitations
32 prevented this from happening.
33
34 After thinking some, I've figured out how to force 'at most one' with
35 XML Schema without losing readability, and I'll update the spec to
36 conform to the original meaning.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny
41 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>