From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 22:40:04
1 On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Daniel Campbell <dlcampbell@×××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/20/2013 10:34 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Daniel Campbell <dlcampbell@×××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On 05/19/2013 01:05 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >>>> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
6 >>>>> J. Roeleveld wrote:
7 >>>>>> I don't see how this will avoid the issue of a limited amount of
8 >>>>>> inodes.
9 >>>>>> That is what I usually run out of before the disk is full when
10 >>>>>> storing lots of smaller files.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> I guess the number of unit files is on the order of hundreds
13 >>>>
14 >>>> (Sorry, sent email before it was ready).
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Laptop running full GNOME:
17 >>>>
18 >>>> # find /usr/lib/systemd/system -type f | wc
19 >>>> 154 154 7012
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Server running Apache+MySQL+Mailman+Squid+Other services:
22 >>>>
23 >>>> # find /usr/lib/systemd/system -type f | wc
24 >>>> 121 121 5560
25 >>>>
26 >>>> And as you said, you can always use INSTALL_MASK. If 154 files are
27 >>>> going to deplete your inodes, I think your problem lies somewhere
28 >>>> else.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Regards.
31 >>>> --
32 >>>> Canek Peláez Valdés
33 >>>> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
34 >>>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
35 >>>>
36 >>>
37 >>> That's missing the point. If you don't run systemd, having unit files is
38 >>> pointless. Thankfully there's INSTALL_MASK and whatnot, but that seems
39 >>> like a hack instead of something more robust. Why include systemd unit
40 >>> files (by default, with no systemd USE flag, thanks to the council...)
41 >>> on a system that's not using it? 154 files isn't negligible unless
42 >>> you're flippant with your system and don't care about bloat. Unused
43 >>> software sitting around *is* a waste of disk-space.
44 >>
45 >> Unit files are not software; they are data.
46 >>
47 >> And I believe you are the one missing the point. I don't run OpenRC; I
48 >> don't need no files in /etc/init.d. But you don't see me (nor any
49 >> other systemd user) complaining about pointless scripts in
50 >> /etc/init.d. I just put /etc/init.d in INSTALL_MASK and go on with my
51 >> life.
52 >>
53 >> Non-systemd users should do the same for files under /usr/lib/systemd,
54 >> if they really are that worried about systemd "infecting" their
55 >> systems. Complaining about a council-decided policy (and, I believe,
56 >> backed up by the developers that matter, including the OpenRC
57 >> maintainers) is just beating on a dead horse.
58 >>
59 >> Get over it.
60 >>
61 >>> Some people (like myself) came to Gentoo to avoid putting systemd on
62 >>> their systems and to make use of the great choice that Gentoo allows.
63 >>> This push to make systemd a "first level citizen" or whatever reeks of
64 >>> marketing.
65 >>
66 >> If Gentoo is about choice, then systemd is one of those choices. And
67 >> systemd will become a first class citizen inside Gentoo, like it or
68 >> not. Support for it has been getting better and better, and more and
69 >> more Gentoo users are running with systemd.
70 >>
71 >> If some fundamentalists users don't want even one file in their
72 >> systems with "systemd" on their paths, they can install eudev/mdev,
73 >> put the necessary directories in INSTALL_MASK, and do the extra work.
74 >> If some other fundamentalists users (like myself) don't want even one
75 >> OpenRC related file on our systems, we can create an overlay to remove
76 >> the dependency of baselayout on OpenRC, put /etc/init.d in
77 >> INSTALL_MASK, and do the extra work.
78 >>
79 >> Neither case covers the average systemd/OpenRC user, who doesn't care
80 >> about a few scattered files in /etc/init.d nor /usr/lib/systemd, and
81 >> just want to run her machine with the init system of her choice. If
82 >> Gentoo is really about choice.
83 >>
84 >>> If there is desire among users for unit files, they can
85 >>> contact upstream or maintain their own set of unit files. It's not like
86 >>> they're hard to write.
87 >>
88 >> So, Gentoo is about choice, but only for the choices you agree with. Great.
89 >>
90 >> Regards.
91 >> --
92 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
93 >> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
94 >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
97 > It seems that I've stepped on a few toes in calling INSTALL_MASK a hack.
98 > Hacks aren't necessarily bad; if anything it shows that there's interest
99 > in supporting something but perhaps not enough time or manpower to
100 > implement a more robust solution. If adding one or two directories to
101 > that variable will nuke any unit files, consider me happy.
102
103 As I was, when I used to put /etc/init.d in INSTALL_MASK.
104
105 > systemd is certainly a choice, but it is no more deserving of
106 > consideration than any other init system. I don't see anyone calling for
107 > runit to be a 'first level citizen'. I wonder why that is.
108
109 Probably because is used by a really small number of users, contrary to systemd
110
111 > Again, if
112 > INSTALL_MASKing openrc dirs will get rid of init scripts for systemd
113 > users, then perhaps INSTALL_MASK is the best we have for now and should
114 > make use of it. I never said that it wasn't suitable to use.
115
116 Then we agree.
117
118 > As for "complaining" about policy, what is the proper thing to do in a
119 > situation where someone questions the reasoning behind a decision?
120
121 Contribute?
122
123 > Are
124 > there links somewhere on Gentoo's website that outline the process for
125 > each important decision that the council's made?
126
127 The Council meetings logs are in the Council project page:
128
129 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
130 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/#doc_chap6
131
132 > I think it'd be
133 > valuable information for people and keep individuals like you from
134 > telling others to "get over it" without any explanation whatsoever.
135 > That's not communication, that's prescription.
136
137 I think I gave an explanation when I said "Complaining about a
138 council-decided policy (and, I believe, backed up by the developers
139 that matter, including the OpenRC maintainers) is just beating on a
140 dead horse." The important thing being that the ones writing the code
141 (including the OpenRC maintainer) already made their choice.
142
143 > I'm curious as to why you consider users who want to save disk space
144 > (openrc or systemd, or other packages, it doesn't matter) as
145 > fundamentalists.
146
147 Because wanting to eradicate some dozens of files that take not even
148 one megabyte (combined!) is, in my (updated) view, fundamentalist.
149
150 When I wrote the overlay to get rid of OpenRC it was because (back
151 then, a couple of years ago), some udev rules sometimes would try to
152 call scripts in /etc/init.d, and then they would try to start all of
153 OpenRC's services, slowing down (sometimes for close to a minute) the
154 booting time. Now the situation has improved greatly, and systemd on
155 Gentoo works great; I would even venture to say that works better than
156 in Fedora. Now, thanks to the work of people like Fabio Erculiani,
157 both init systems can be installed in parallel without stepping in
158 each other toes, and at boot time you can decide which one to use.
159
160 I recently converted a server from OpenRC to systemd, and it was the
161 first time I didn't use my overlay. The switch was completely
162 painless, and I decided that putting /etc/init.d in INSTALL_MASK was
163 kinda stupid. It makes no sense (I believe, now) to remove 51 files
164 that utilize 232K just so the server is "100% OpenRC-free". I think I
165 should be able to uninstall OpenRC (and work is progressing in that
166 direction), but I no longer care about files in /etc/init.d.
167
168 I got over it.
169
170 > I do not consider Gentoo to be only about my own choices, but as a user,
171 > who else's choices am I going to consider when I administer my system?
172
173 Who took away any choice from you?
174
175 > I'm happy for any new choices as long as they don't step on mine. I
176 > think that's fair.
177
178 What choices of yours were stepped on?
179
180 Regards.
181 --
182 Canek Peláez Valdés