From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:00:18
1 On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 2:22 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > Apparently my complaining finally re-triggered some action, so sadly
3 > this looks like the currently best strategy.
4
5 You could have simply made a simple post pointing out that changelog
6 generation appears to be broken and likely had the same effect.
7
8 The thing with complaining to trigger action is that it can be like
9 taking one step forward and two steps back. It might appear to have
10 the desired effect, and then nobody wants to work in that part of the
11 community, or in the community at all, so in the long run we're all
12 worse off. It doesn't inspire people to contribute. The areas where
13 contributions are lost may not even appear to be directly related to
14 the areas where the complaints are made, so it is hard to demonstrate
15 a clear relationship, and thus people still feel vindicated in their
16 complaining or reluctant to do anything about it.
17
18 Can I prove that the above is true? No. Does it concern me?
19 Absolutely. I think the fact that so many are torn between getting
20 rid of key contributors who tend to create a lot of drama and
21 continuing to tolerate them just makes people not want to try to fix
22 it as well.
25 Rich