From: Peter Alfredsen <peter.alfredsen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:12:17
1 This outcome was just super. Systemd was bumped to -188 today. Udev is
2 still at -187. Instead of actually listening to upstream[1], which
3 would be easy with a virtual, we're now stuck with one part of the duo
4 being at one version and the other part of the duo another. And when I
5 login to X with this combo, my display is /upside-down/. And I don't
6 know if it's because our hackery on the tarball has left out some
7 vital part, because disabling stuff in the one ebuild (gudev in
8 systemd) and enabling it in the other is going to cause some
9 non-trivial problem, or if it's simply a bug upstream. But that's
10 okay, because gentooers are powerusers and we're supposed to have the
11 time to debug this stuff, right?
12 This is disgusting. Really. Virtuals are simple. This stuff is
13 freaking *hard*. Whoever it was that forced this on systemd in gentoo
14 should have a big *object* stuck in *place* and be forced to *action*
15 as penance for the time I'll have to waste fixing this.
16
17 [1] "And what we will certainly not do is compromise the uniform integration
18 into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for non-systemd systems.
19
20 (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you
21 haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop
22 that support entirely.)"
23 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
24
25 Meaning: For now, you're allowed to have udev without systemd but
26 mixing-and-matching udev versions and systemd versions will be
27 unsupported and patching udev will probably break systemd at some
28 point.
29
30 TL;DR: This is a sucky situation you've put all users of udev in.