From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:24:30
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:33:10 +0200
3 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Michał Górny schrieb:
6 >>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:24:27 -0500
7 >>> William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
10 >>>>> Hello, all.
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> Since nowadays udev is bundled within systemd, we start having two
13 >>>>> libudev providers: >=sys-apps/systemd-185 and sys-fs/udev. Making
14 >>>>> the long story short, I would like to introduce a virtual for
15 >>>>> libudev which would pull in either of those two.
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> There are three USE flags used in conditionals when depending on
18 >>>>> udev:
19 >>>>> - gudev - for glib wrapper on udev,
20 >>>>> - hwdb - to pull in hwids,
21 >>>>> - static-libs.
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> The former two were previously provided by 'extras' USE flag,
24 >>>>> and the third was unconditional.
25 >>>>>
26 >>>>> I'm attaching an example virtual/libudev which does the job.
27 >>>>> Sadly, because of the 'extras' compatibility it's a big ugly
28 >>>>> conditional.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> I'm going to ask here, because of the discussion on IRC, that you
31 >>>> not commit this yet. There are issues still we need to work out wrt
32 >>>> packaging systemd and udev.
33 >>>
34 >>> So, can I commit the virtual and finally start fixing people's
35 >>> systems or are we going to discuss this to the day when other
36 >>> options are no longer a possibility and virtual will be necessary?
37 >>>
38 >>> You seem still not to understand that upstream *does not care*.
39 >>> And either way, merging udev and systemd will result that two, four
40 >>> or six months from now users will need to manually re-adjust their
41 >>> @world to have the packages split again.
42 >>>
43 >>
44 >> I wrote it the last time you asked and i write it this time again: NO!
45 >>
46 >> Beside that, the last time i wrote you a mail about this topic, where
47 >> you did not respond at all. So please read it again and answer it.
48 >> Such change should be properly checked, before we even think about
49 >> the idea of such a switch.
50 >
51 > I'm pretty sure I replied to every mail I got from you.
52 >
53 > And please remind me: what is your relevance to systemd or udev? What
54 > do you know about history of those packages?
57 Please keep this on a technical level, neither relevance nor knowledge
58 about history should matter here.
59
60 Since you seem to have missed or forgotten my mails, let me copy it here
61 again for you:
62
63 >> As discussed on IRC, there is still no consensus for installing the
64 >> udev files with systemd, which is the beginning for the block and the
65 >> virtual. So we should first sort that point out, before we even start
66 >> to think about an ebuild for an udev virtual.
67 >
68 > Do you have a technical or policy reason prohibiting me from maintaining
69 > a systemd ebuild following the upstream policies?
70
71 How about this simple one: The udev ebuild does already install udev, so
72 why should we have another package also installing the same thing,
73 resulting in a blocker, the need to switch from one package to another
74 and the need for package maintainers to switch their dependencies?
75
76 Since William already said, that he will move the udev installation to
77 /usr/lib, i dont see any technical reason left to not simply depend on
78 the udev ebuild.
79 And if you fear issues about not knowing which parts to install, then
80 just check the files installed by the udev ebuild, remove them from your
81 systemd ebuild and you are done.
82 >
83 >> So for now: A clear no, i am against adding a virtual/libudev ebuild.
84 >
85 > Please give the rationale.
86
87 I did above. So if you still want to install udev yourself, please give
88 the rationale for doing so. And neither upstream naming nor a big
89 upstream tarball nor the Makefile do force this, so please exclude those
90 points.
98 Thomas Sachau
99 Gentoo Linux Developer