From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tommy@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:14:02
1 On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:33:10 +0200
2 Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Michał Górny schrieb:
5 > > On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:24:27 -0500
6 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
9 > >>> Hello, all.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Since nowadays udev is bundled within systemd, we start having two
12 > >>> libudev providers: >=sys-apps/systemd-185 and sys-fs/udev. Making
13 > >>> the long story short, I would like to introduce a virtual for
14 > >>> libudev which would pull in either of those two.
15 > >>>
16 > >>> There are three USE flags used in conditionals when depending on
17 > >>> udev:
18 > >>> - gudev - for glib wrapper on udev,
19 > >>> - hwdb - to pull in hwids,
20 > >>> - static-libs.
21 > >>>
22 > >>> The former two were previously provided by 'extras' USE flag,
23 > >>> and the third was unconditional.
24 > >>>
25 > >>> I'm attaching an example virtual/libudev which does the job.
26 > >>> Sadly, because of the 'extras' compatibility it's a big ugly
27 > >>> conditional.
28 > >>
29 > >> I'm going to ask here, because of the discussion on IRC, that you
30 > >> not commit this yet. There are issues still we need to work out wrt
31 > >> packaging systemd and udev.
32 > >
33 > > So, can I commit the virtual and finally start fixing people's
34 > > systems or are we going to discuss this to the day when other
35 > > options are no longer a possibility and virtual will be necessary?
36 > >
37 > > You seem still not to understand that upstream *does not care*.
38 > > And either way, merging udev and systemd will result that two, four
39 > > or six months from now users will need to manually re-adjust their
40 > > @world to have the packages split again.
43 > I wrote it the last time you asked and i write it this time again: NO!
44 >
45 > Beside that, the last time i wrote you a mail about this topic, where
46 > you did not respond at all. So please read it again and answer it.
47 > Such change should be properly checked, before we even think about
48 > the idea of such a switch.
49
50 I'm pretty sure I replied to every mail I got from you.
51
52 And please remind me: what is your relevance to systemd or udev? What
53 do you know about history of those packages?
56 Best regards,
57 Michał Górny