From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:34:34
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:24:27 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
6 >>> Hello, all.
7 >>>
8 >>> Since nowadays udev is bundled within systemd, we start having two
9 >>> libudev providers: >=sys-apps/systemd-185 and sys-fs/udev. Making
10 >>> the long story short, I would like to introduce a virtual for
11 >>> libudev which would pull in either of those two.
12 >>>
13 >>> There are three USE flags used in conditionals when depending on
14 >>> udev:
15 >>> - gudev - for glib wrapper on udev,
16 >>> - hwdb - to pull in hwids,
17 >>> - static-libs.
18 >>>
19 >>> The former two were previously provided by 'extras' USE flag,
20 >>> and the third was unconditional.
21 >>>
22 >>> I'm attaching an example virtual/libudev which does the job. Sadly,
23 >>> because of the 'extras' compatibility it's a big ugly conditional.
24 >>
25 >> I'm going to ask here, because of the discussion on IRC, that you not
26 >> commit this yet. There are issues still we need to work out wrt
27 >> packaging systemd and udev.
28 >
29 > So, can I commit the virtual and finally start fixing people's systems
30 > or are we going to discuss this to the day when other options are no
31 > longer a possibility and virtual will be necessary?
32 >
33 > You seem still not to understand that upstream *does not care*.
34 > And either way, merging udev and systemd will result that two, four or
35 > six months from now users will need to manually re-adjust their @world
36 > to have the packages split again.
39 I wrote it the last time you asked and i write it this time again: NO!
40
41 Beside that, the last time i wrote you a mail about this topic, where
42 you did not respond at all. So please read it again and answer it. Such
43 change should be properly checked, before we even think about the idea
44 of such a switch.
48 Thomas Sachau
49 Gentoo Linux Developer