From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: williamh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:00:12
1 On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:24:27 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hello, all.
6 > >
7 > > Since nowadays udev is bundled within systemd, we start having two
8 > > libudev providers: >=sys-apps/systemd-185 and sys-fs/udev. Making
9 > > the long story short, I would like to introduce a virtual for
10 > > libudev which would pull in either of those two.
11 > >
12 > > There are three USE flags used in conditionals when depending on
13 > > udev:
14 > > - gudev - for glib wrapper on udev,
15 > > - hwdb - to pull in hwids,
16 > > - static-libs.
17 > >
18 > > The former two were previously provided by 'extras' USE flag,
19 > > and the third was unconditional.
20 > >
21 > > I'm attaching an example virtual/libudev which does the job. Sadly,
22 > > because of the 'extras' compatibility it's a big ugly conditional.
23 >
24 > I'm going to ask here, because of the discussion on IRC, that you not
25 > commit this yet. There are issues still we need to work out wrt
26 > packaging systemd and udev.
27
28 So, can I commit the virtual and finally start fixing people's systems
29 or are we going to discuss this to the day when other options are no
30 longer a possibility and virtual will be necessary?
31
32 You seem still not to understand that upstream *does not care*.
33 And either way, merging udev and systemd will result that two, four or
34 six months from now users will need to manually re-adjust their @world
35 to have the packages split again.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny