From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proctors - improve the concept or discard it?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 14:03:52
1 Hello Chris!
2
3 I'm shortening your mail greatly and respond to only a few aspects because
4 the two of us seem to agree on a great deal of those points you made.
5
6 On Thursday, June 7, 2007 01:45:43 AM Chris Gianelloni wrote:
7 [Proctors]
8 > Well, they've been asked to write guidelines for Council approval, as
9 > well as changes to the Code of Conduct. Neither of which have been
10 > done.
11
12 I'm well aware of that. Of course, one could argue that the council should
13 have a) set a fixed date for those tasks and b) monitored the
14 progress. :-)
15
16 > Why do we need the -dev mailing list? How much real "development" (or
17 > even discussion about it) happens on the mailing list?
18
19 Rarely any. We still need it, though, because it's the only
20 development-related mailinglist that everyone may at least read.
21
22 That said, before I became a dev I've read this list but I've never posted
23 to it because I felt it was inappropriate. I've contacted either
24 individual devs or herds and that worked fairly well.
25
26 Users have lots of ways to communicate with us - our mail aliases, the
27 other mailinglists, the forums and what not. So let's make this list
28 read-only for anyone but devs and staff (as was suggested by others here
29 as well) and keep it.
30
31 > Most of the traffic on this list is political in nature and simply
32 > doesn't belong on this list. Since we've pretty much shown over the
33 > past couple years that the development list isn't being used properly,
34 > why have it?
35
36 Because devs will need a place to vent sometimes. -core is not the list
37 for such purposes. Furthermore, we generally don't need to hide (and we
38 shouldn't either) from our users. Thus, there should be a mailinglist for
39 all to read. Just like we have #gentoo-dev on IRC.
40
41 > I mean no disrespect to people's age, but I think part of the problem
42 > why we have such a hard time, collectively, acting like adults is we
43 > aren't adults.
44
45 Thank you for bringing this up. I didn't want to state it that clearly
46 because some will feel it's unfair but I think that's indeed one of the
47 problems.
48
49 > It isn't their fault, it is just simply a
50 > lack of life experience. We simply cannot reasonably expect everyone
51 > to act like a level-headed thirty year old computer professional.
52
53 Exactly. About ten to twelve years ago, I often reacted like Ciaran, too.
54
55 Twice, I was almost fired because of that. Fortunately for me, there were
56 two colleagues who were willing to tolerate me anyway and by just
57 treating me much friendlier and more patiently than I did treat them,
58 I've learned there are better ways to handle frustration and latent
59 aggressions.
60
61 > I have heard people say that our lack of being paid developers compounds
62 > this, as we have people from all walks of life.
63
64 The latter I definitely consider one of our strengths because we're *not*
65 all from the isolated ebony towers of university. We're from all over the
66 world and from all professions.
67
68 > but I do know that paid developers tend to be older and
69 > more professional. After all, if they constantly acted like a tool,
70 > they'd be fired.
71
72 Of course.
73
74 > Developer Relations has gone through a few good spots intermixed with
75 > lots of failures.
76
77 Yes, I agree. Of course, both of our views are highly subjective and some
78 others may, as subjectively, feel that it's exactly the other way round.
79
80 > I have always felt that a properly-running distribution should have the
81 > need for a group whose purpose is to resolve internal conflict.
82
83 I'm guessing you meant to write "should NOT have"?
84
85 > We will always need recruiters, but the existence of a group just
86 > to make the 300 or so of us play nice together shows that our culture is
87 > broken.
88
89 No, I don't think so. The fact that we all come from different cultures,
90 are aged from 15 or so up to 70 (? Neddy, correct me if I'm wrong. ;-) )
91 makes it impossible to avoid conflicts among ourselves. Thus, we'll
92 always need some people to mediate.
93
94 Granted, personally, I don't need DevRel. I just ignore those who annoy me
95 or I'll let them know what I think about them directly without making a
96 public fuss about it. We can't expect that from others, though.
97
98 > > Do we really need an entire team for dealing with one former dev in
99 > > case he goes too far? Or could we just agree to ignore him if he
100 > > again behaves inappropriately (or what some of us *feel* might be
101 > > inappropriate)?
102
103 This was targetted at the proctors again, not DevRel. I should have made
104 that clear, sorry.
105
106 > > When I first read the CoC I had just read about the entire
107 > > Ciaran-incident on the respective bugs, Forums, mailinglists, blogs
108 > > and many other sources. CoC, while not bad in itself, seemed (and
109 > > still seems) to me like a "Lex Ciaran" - a document with that what I
110 > > had just read clearly in mind and targetted at preventing it.
111 > The Code of Conduct was written with the hopes that its existence would
112 > help to curb the flamewars
113
114 Yes, I know. I was sceptical about that when I first heard of it and I
115 still am. :)
116
117 > The perception is all that really matters, as it is all that gets
118 > propagated to the world. I think this is something that people seem
119 > to forget. It doesn't matter what the real truth is for anything.
120 > All that matters "to the world" is what they perceive.
121
122 Exactly! That's the point: In an ideal world, the absolute truth would be
123 all that mattered. We all know, though, that neither the world outside
124 the virtual walls of our electronic communications media is perfect nor
125 that our own little Gentoo world is perfect.
126
127 Thus, we really have to think about how we (and others) perceive what
128 we're doing.
129
130 > > While preventing it is a good goal in itself, writing a CoC based on
131 > > an actual case which has only recently occurred, usually leads to
132 > > this result and damages the whatever good intentions were involved
133 > > because other people will see the similarities as well.
134 > The Code of Conduct wasn't written in response to a particular case.
135
136 Yes, it was not intended to be but that's again a question of perception
137 *and* one of the timing. Just look at the dates of both the incident in
138 question and the time the CoC was written.
139
140 Furthermore, lay both the DevRel bug and the CoC next to each other and
141 compare the accusations and the CoC regulations with each other - even
142 the ordering is pretty much the same. :-)
143
144 Of course, the CoC was not intended as a Ciaran-response but it was
145 (probably even unintentionally) written with it in mind and it shows.
146
147 > The timing suggests that it was written against Ciaran. It wasn't. I
148 > know this will sound a bit harsh, but if we really were trying to just
149 > get rid of Ciaran, we would have just banned him and been done with it.
150
151 Don't worry about sounding harsh and I'll do the same: You wouldn't have
152 gotten rid of him. If you were able to get rid of him, he wouldn't be
153 able to post to this mailinglist.
154
155 Yesterday on IRC, I suggested banning Ciaran from here but, as I expected,
156 that was met with enraged shouting about "censorship".
157
158 If we're not even able to deal with someone who has proven to me even (and
159 I wasn't convinced retiring him was right after reading all I've listed
160 in my previous mail) that he's a troublemaker above anything else, we
161 aren't able to deal with anyone as decided as him.
162
163 > > More than that, it puts a strain on those who are entrusted with
164 > > enforcing the CoC because they will try, with the best motives, to
165 > > prevent anything like that happening again. And they will do it, as
166 > > the proctors stated themselves, pro-actively.
167 > No, re-actively.
168
169 Agreed - they were talking about *pro*-actively themselves, though. :-)
170
171 > I think they've failed.
172
173 I agree.
174
175 > voicing of their failure as a direct personal assault. It wasn't meant
176 > that way, but I'm not going to apologize for my observations. I see no
177 > point in apologizing for what *I* perceived, even if it does hurt a few
178 > feelings. I just think people are being overly-sensitive. It's
179 > Gentoo's curse.
180
181 Absolutely! That's exactly my feeling, too, and the reason why I've voiced
182 my hope that people would finally grow a thicker skin as I put it.
183
184 > If Developer Relations were able to act fast, it would help immensely.
185
186 Define a right to a "speedy decision" and make that 30 days at most.
187
188 > > If, after both sides were investigated properly, the complaining
189 > > party is found to be exaggerating or too easily offended,
190 > > disciplinary action should be taken against it. Of course, this
191 > > should be done light-handedly but it should give the complaining
192 > > party some time to learn from their mistake. Maybe this is what's
193 > > already intended - it's just that I haven't found any examples. :)
194 > It is actually what was intended. The problem is that even the most
195 > light-handed actions have been met with resignations, flames, people
196 > being general assholes, and all kinds of other fun things that compound
197 > the problems rather than resolve them.
198
199 Tough luck. Make DevRel a body that people are being elected to for, e. g.
200 one year, and let people resign over their decisions if they feel they
201 have to. It already happened and at least one dev came back after some
202 rest.
203
204 You said it yourself: People are overly sensitive and DevRel must not hurt
205 their feelings because of that? Sorry, that's not the way it works.
206
207 > We are an open source project that is completely community-based. We
208 > simply don't all think alike and can't expect that to ever change.
209
210 No, of course not. But I've seen (and am a part of) much bigger projects
211 survive for much longer (more than 20 years in one example) than Gentoo
212 in spite of having basically the same problems we have.
213
214 > We don't really have any sort of replacement for the proctors.
215
216 And we don't need one.
217
218 > original User Relations was supposed to do that job,
219
220 I've never understood what that was about either but that's another
221 story. :-)
222
223 > I know I am planning on bringing up discussion on this at the next
224 > Council meeting and we'll simply go from there.
225
226 That would be on the 14th this month, right?
227
228 Best regards, Wulf