From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proctors - improve the concept or discard it?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 23:53:07
1 On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 18:10 +0200, Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, June 6, 2007 05:29:47 PM Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > [Proctor system]
4 > > a way to fix the current system, or should it be chucked entirely, as
5 > > has been suggested?
6 >
7 > Personally, I think we simply don't need the proctors.
8
9 As much as I was a part of the creation of the proctors, I agree.
10
11 > I'm sure they have the best intentions but I've never seen any clear
12 > guidelines for them. They use their best judgement what to handle and
13 > what not to but due to language barriers, cultural differences etc. it's
14 > difficult to judge.
15
16 Well, they've been asked to write guidelines for Council approval, as
17 well as changes to the Code of Conduct. Neither of which have been
18 done. As it stands now, there are no publicly available guidelines that
19 I am aware of for the proctors.
20
21 > Furthermore, where do we need them? The Forums are moderated by an, IMHO,
22 > excellent team. IRC is more or less self-moderated.
23 > That basically leaves the mailinglists and among those, the only one that
24 > *might* arguably need supervision could be -dev.
25
26 One thing I have started to really wonder about is this.
27
28 Why do we need the -dev mailing list? How much real "development" (or
29 even discussion about it) happens on the mailing list?
30
31 Most of the traffic on this list is political in nature and simply
32 doesn't belong on this list. Since we've pretty much shown over the
33 past couple years that the development list isn't being used properly,
34 why have it?
35
36 > Do we really need moderation on the list? Or could we just literally
37 > moderate ourselves instead? Could we try and succeed to be just ignore
38 > some flames instead of adding oil to the fire?
39
40 Do we really need the list? We tried self-moderation and it simply
41 didn't work. We know it won't work. There's no point in trying again.
42 The situation isn't likely to change.
43
44 I mean no disrespect to people's age, but I think part of the problem
45 why we have such a hard time, collectively, acting like adults is we
46 aren't adults. A very good number of our developers are in the high
47 school/college age range. This means their life experience isn't as
48 high as a more seasoned adult. They have no real experiences dealing
49 with adults in adult situations. They're simply used to how things are
50 done with people their age. It isn't their fault, it is just simply a
51 lack of life experience. We simply cannot reasonably expect everyone to
52 act like a level-headed thirty year old computer professional. I have
53 heard people say that our lack of being paid developers compounds this,
54 as we have people from all walks of life. I don't think that I believe
55 that, but I do know that paid developers tend to be older and more
56 professional. After all, if they constantly acted like a tool, they'd
57 be fired.
58
59 > And even if we can't: We still have DevRel we can complain to. Yes, DevRel
60 > is for inter-developer conflicts but let's look back in the archives a
61 > bit - do we really need more than that? Most conflicts arise between
62 > active developers and, well, one active retired-dev.
63
64 Developer Relations has gone through a few good spots intermixed with
65 lots of failures. They keep improving, but the trust level many
66 developers have with Developer Relations isn't very good. With the
67 recent changes within the group, we might see improvement here, and I
68 think that we will. I don't mean this to sound like I am throwing
69 devrel under the bus or anything. I am not. I know that those guys
70 work hard. However, good intentions and hard work don't necessarily
71 make up for failing to attain goals. Part of the problem has been the
72 fear that Developer Relations has rightly had in using their powers. I
73 have always felt that a properly-running distribution should have the
74 need for a group whose purpose is to resolve internal conflict. We will
75 always need recruiters, but the existence of a group just to make the
76 300 or so of us play nice together shows that our culture is broken.
77
78 > Do we really need an entire team for dealing with one former dev in case
79 > he goes too far? Or could we just agree to ignore him if he again behaves
80 > inappropriately (or what some of us *feel* might be inappropriate)?
81
82 Developer Relations does a bunch more than just deal with problems with
83 Gentoo developers and Ciaran. If it really were just Ciaran that was
84 the cause (or catalyst) of all of our problems, it could be solved very
85 simply. It isn't.
86
87 Developers simply aren't going to agree all the time. No matter what,
88 there will end up being some group responsible for trying to resolve
89 interpersonal issues. In companies, that would be the Human Resources
90 department. When you think of devrel more as an HR department, you
91 realize there's more to it than dealing with problems. After all,
92 Developer Relations does all the recruiting work.
93
94 > When I first read the CoC I had just read about the entire Ciaran-incident
95 > on the respective bugs, Forums, mailinglists, blogs and many other
96 > sources. CoC, while not bad in itself, seemed (and still seems) to me
97 > like a "Lex Ciaran" - a document with that what I had just read clearly
98 > in mind and targetted at preventing it.
99
100 The Code of Conduct was written with the hopes that its existence would
101 help to curb the flamewars and other general nastiness between people
102 within the community. The proctors were created to enforce the Code of
103 Conduct. Their mandate was to be very fast moving and to try to keep
104 flames from spreading. For some time, I was working with the proctors.
105 I ended up disliking the bureaucratic direction they were taking and
106 chose to have myself removed from the group. Since that time, I have
107 pretty much felt that the proctors *have* taken it upon themselves to
108 single out and target particular individuals. Whether this was
109 intentional or not is really beside the point. The perception is all
110 that really matters, as it is all that gets propagated to the world. I
111 think this is something that people seem to forget. It doesn't matter
112 what the real truth is for anything. All that matters "to the world" is
113 what they perceive. If the perception is that Gentoo is nothing but a
114 bunch of guys waiting to flame people, it doesn't matter that there
115 might be 98% of the developer pool that has never engaged in a flamewar.
116 (Numbers completely made up...)
117
118 > While preventing it is a good goal in itself, writing a CoC based on an
119 > actual case which has only recently occurred, usually leads to this
120 > result and damages the whatever good intentions were involved because
121 > other people will see the similarities as well.
122
123 The Code of Conduct wasn't written in response to a particular case.
124 The timing suggests that it was written against Ciaran. It wasn't. I
125 know this will sound a bit harsh, but if we really were trying to just
126 get rid of Ciaran, we would have just banned him and been done with it.
127 There wouldn't have been a point in creating yet another project and
128 staffing it. The goal *was* and still *is* to reduce the flames, no
129 matter what parties are involved.
130
131 > More than that, it puts a strain on those who are entrusted with enforcing
132 > the CoC because they will try, with the best motives, to prevent anything
133 > like that happening again. And they will do it, as the proctors stated
134 > themselves, pro-actively.
135
136 No, re-actively. If it were proactive, it would be done before the
137 flames started. The proctors *have* tried to react as quickly as
138 possible. The problem is that there are no published guidelines, and
139 decisions from the proctors are completely arbitrary to any outside
140 observer. I think they've failed. Again, I don't think that the guys
141 didn't have the best intentions, and I know that some people took my
142 voicing of their failure as a direct personal assault. It wasn't meant
143 that way, but I'm not going to apologize for my observations. I see no
144 point in apologizing for what *I* perceived, even if it does hurt a few
145 feelings. I just think people are being overly-sensitive. It's
146 Gentoo's curse.
147
148 > The problem is, though: In an asynchronous communications medium, you
149 > simply cannot pro-actively do anything without bordering on what some
150 > like to call censorship. You can only *re*act in such a situation.
151 >
152 > Even *trying* to act pro-actively will lead to unrest as we've only very
153 > recently seen it. If we accept my hypothesis of asynchronous
154 > communication and the implications I described, we come to the conclusion
155 > that reaction is the most likely way not to open Pandora's Box.
156
157 Attempts to become more proactive were dismissed. One such attempt was
158 to enforce bans on all mediums. For example, if someone is banned for
159 24 hours for their actions on IRC, they should be banned from all of our
160 media. Why? Because there's nothing keeping the person from just
161 moving "next door" and starting more problems. We've even seen it
162 happen in at least one occasion that I am aware of with this list and
163 the forums.
164
165 > That leads back to DevRel. We have them to deal reactively with conflicts
166 > after a complaint by either party involved. I stated, that on the
167 > mailinglists, we mainly see inter-developer conflicts and those can be
168 > handled by DevRel.
169
170 I think we mostly see developer<->user conflict. That was one of the
171 reasons we created a new group to monitor our media. We felt that
172 Developer Relations was *not* the group, since it dealt only with
173 inter-developer communications and we needed something broader.
174
175 > A small improvement to DevRel might be achieved, at least from what I've
176 > seen by reading lots and lots of DevRel bugs, by taking action on
177 > unfounded complaints, too. I'm speaking of trivial complaints, of course.
178
179 If Developer Relations were able to act fast, it would help immensely.
180 Again, we have tied ourselves in so much red tape and procedure, that
181 getting things done is now secondary to following protocol. I am not
182 pointing fingers at devrel on this. I think it is a failure across
183 most, if not all, of Gentoo.
184
185 > If, after both sides were investigated properly, the complaining party is
186 > found to be exaggerating or too easily offended, disciplinary action
187 > should be taken against it. Of course, this should be done light-handedly
188 > but it should give the complaining party some time to learn from their
189 > mistake. Maybe this is what's already intended - it's just that I haven't
190 > found any examples. :)
191
192 It is actually what was intended. The problem is that even the most
193 light-handed actions have been met with resignations, flames, people
194 being general assholes, and all kinds of other fun things that compound
195 the problems rather than resolve them. I know that one of kloeri's
196 biggest fears as creating more problems than he solved, every time
197 devrel had to do just about anything.
198
199 We are an open source project that is completely community-based. We
200 simply don't all think alike and can't expect that to ever change.
201
202 > I apologise for the long mail but I wanted to state clearly and without
203 > too much emotions why I think we don't need the proctors and why we
204 > should thank them for attempting to bring some order to the chaos and
205 > give up on the concept as a whole.
206
207 We don't really have any sort of replacement for the proctors. The
208 original User Relations was supposed to do that job, but that was before
209 Christel came around and reinvented userrel as a great
210 community<->developer gateway. The problem was that we *needed* to have
211 the "old" userrel to compliment devrel. The proctors were supposed to
212 fill in that gap.
213
214 I know I am planning on bringing up discussion on this at the next
215 Council meeting and we'll simply go from there.
218 Chris Gianelloni
219 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
220 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
221 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
222 Gentoo Foundation