From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: killing mediawiki
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 17:44:21
1 On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:21:53PM +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 12:39:43 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I don't care that we have a wiki, but can we please look into killing
6 > > mediawiki and look at something with a git backend? It would be very
7 > > nice to be able to edit wiki pages in markdown or another similar format
8 > > and use git to control the changes instead of editing in a browser.
9 >
10 > 1. Who are the primary beneficiaries of this suggestion?:
11 >
12 > a. People with expert knowledge of development systems and people
13 > with Gentoo Privileges
14 >
15 > b. End users who may not be experts, in all things development, but
16 > may be able to contribute and consume content.
17
18 Anyone really could benefit from it. The replacements are wikis, so if
19 you want to edit via the web like you do now, that's still available.
22 > 2. What compromises in flexibility does this create? Eg: Do suggested
23 > replacements have capacity to have arbitrary HTML and templating? Or
24 > are they restricted to the terribly narrow featureset of Markdown?
25
26 Several of them support multiple formats, so that would depend on the
27 replacement chosen.
28
29 > If you're optimising for 1-a and your choice of compromise results in a
30 > reduction in functionality with regards to clear, flexible, and
31 > expressive content, it will be hard to sell me on the idea.
32
33 Yes I would benefit from this change, but it is not a case of optimizing
34 for one. It is a case of opening up the use of the wiki to the largest
35 audiance possible. This is just good universal design.
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 William