From: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
To: Klavs Klavsen <kl@××××.dk>
Cc: lisa@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we want optimal performance?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:43:08
1 On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 06:15, Klavs Klavsen wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > Just read an interesting article about Xeon vs. Opteron from anandtech -
5 > where they really show how much difference compile optimizations (or not)
6 > does - and how it differs for different programs for different processors.
7
8 To me the phrase "optimal performance" means that all of the programs I
9 use compile, run, are stable, and give a respectable "response time."
10 Who cares if Apache serves up your pages 0.005 seconds faster as long as
11 they're served up in a respectable time?
12
13 I laugh at the people who run with every cflag optimisation they can
14 because chances are there's no real reason for them to need such
15 optimisation at such a risk for buggy behavior.
16
17 I think that the people who /need/ these optimisations will know what
18 they're doing in advance and how to customise their cflags accordingly.
21 Regards,
22 Lisa Seelye
23 Key fingerprint = 09CF 52D6 B82B 72B9 97A7 601B CB46 B556 1E49 6FC5