From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 21:25:48
1 On Sat, 05 May 2007 22:56:58 +0200
2 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
3 > I'm not trying to sabotage anything but total misuse of the feature.
4 > Would have the same objections wrt whatever other "critical" news
5 > that'd constitute completely inappropriate usage of GLEP42 features.
6 > (And I'd expect that you'd show a bit more knowledge of the GLEP you
7 > are a co-author of, frankly.)
8
9 Have you stopped to consider that, as author of the GLEP, I know
10 exactly what it was intended to do and how it works?
11
12 It's a change to a core configuration file requiring explicit user
13 action from every user. It is not merely a notice about a new feature
14 or a behaviour change that only affects a small proportion of users.
15 The former gets a news item, the latter gets an elog.
16
17 > The relevant paludis output has been pasted twice already, so let me
18 > try one last time:
19 >
20 > <snip>
21 > ... Use of token '*' is deprecated, use '*/*' instead
22 > </snip>
23 >
24 > How much more explanation about this 'critical' change do the users
25 > *need*? If they don't get the above, maybe paludis and Linux just
26 > isn't for them and they should stick to Windows. Meanwhile there's no
27 > need to establish a precedent of using critical news for PEBKAC
28 > issues.
29
30 Experience has shown that without a news item, many users will ask for
31 clarification or confirmation before making any changes, and with a
32 news item users will be reassured that they're doing the right thing
33 and that this is a deliberate change. Bear in mind that a large
34 proportion of users didn't create those files by hand and haven't
35 edited them themselves.
38 Ciaran McCreesh