From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE and Ruby herd call for help
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:59:05
1 Aaron Kulbe wrote:
2 > On 8/22/06, *Caleb Tennis* <caleb@g.o <mailto:caleb@g.o>>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > Hi all,
6 >
7 > Right now both the KDE and Ruby herds (which, informally, I am the
8 > *lead*
9 > on both) are hurting for people. I don't have the time to work on
10 > general
11 > maintenance and bugs at the moment, so we need some help. I've sent
12 > out a
13 > request for help in the GWN a few weeks ago and got a lot of good
14 > leads on
15 > potential new devs, but unfortunately I don't have the time right now to
16 > mentor anyone either.
17 >
18 > If you're able to help in either one of these herds, it would
19 > certainly be
20 > appreciated. You don't need my permission or anything - just add
21 > yourself
22 > to the herd and throw a mail out to the alias saying you're joining us.
25 > Caleb,
28 > question... gem is the "official" package manager for Ruby. Why do we
29 > put Ruby stuff, other than the bare minimums to get Ruby running, in the
30 > portage tree? Why not just let gem handle it?
33 I favor this the same way I favor pear and pecl to handle those
34 extensions. But to each his own I guess... Aaron and I will have our own.
38 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
39 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/