From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Projects without a homepage, and valid contents of HOMEPAGE (per bug 239268)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:29:05
1 On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:46:24PM +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Robert Buchholz wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Sunday 05 October 2008, Thilo Bangert wrote:
5 > >> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> said:
6 > >> > On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 03:44:20 -0700
7 > >> >
8 > >> > "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
9 > >> > > Either we need special cases to declare that it no longer has a
10 > >> > > homepage, or we need to allow the empty HOMEPAGE.
11 > >> >
12 > >> > HOMEPAGE="( )"
13 > >>
14 > >> HOMEPAGE="http://this-package-has-no-homepage.gentoo.org/"
15 > >
16 > > Why not use our package site for this, i.e.
17 > > HOMEPAGE="http://packages.gentoo.org/package/${CAT}/${PN}"
18 > >
19 > > i.e. for this particular use case,
20 > > http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-mobilephone/smssend
21 > >
22 > > The site contains a link to ChangeLog, description, current version,
23 > > forums and bugs. I would suggest it is the most usable homepage a user
24 > > can expect if no other exists.
25 > >
26 > ++ This makes the most sense; it's simple and it enables users to interact
27 > with the appropriate channels to get support, or file bugs and patches.
28 >
29 > If a notice is needed, the website can be amended to state explicitly that
30 > upstream is dead (if the homepage points to self.)
31
32 Use a constant of some sort rather then having the ebuild hardcode the
33 fallback- this shifts the fallback upto the PM (code rather then data
34 it operates on) allowing far more flexibility.
35
36 An example for why this is a better approach would be if I get really
37 really bored some afternoon (or exceedingly drunk) and try to match
38 the package back to a freshmeat url when the homepage is
39 unknown/unset; using a constant, I can focus on that fun task.
40 If the fallback url is hardcoded into the ebuild (data), I wind
41 up having to know of the url scheme for packages.gentoo.org (both
42 past and present) to be able to detect if the homagepage is
43 'unset'; it's both buggy and a pita to try that route.
44
45 Use a constant of some sort please, it's way saner from a data format
46 standpoint.
47
48 And no, using a packages.gentoo.org is not constant since the url
49 namespace can potentially change someday, let alone the idiocy of
50 having to regex it just to discern 'unset' ;)
51
52 ~brian