From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Projects without a homepage, and valid contents of HOMEPAGE (per bug 239268)
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:57:26
1 Robert Buchholz wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 05 October 2008, Thilo Bangert wrote:
4 >> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> said:
5 >> > On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 03:44:20 -0700
6 >> >
7 >> > "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
8 >> > > Either we need special cases to declare that it no longer has a
9 >> > > homepage, or we need to allow the empty HOMEPAGE.
10 >> >
11 >> > HOMEPAGE="( )"
12 >>
13 >> HOMEPAGE="http://this-package-has-no-homepage.gentoo.org/"
14 >
15 > Why not use our package site for this, i.e.
16 > HOMEPAGE="http://packages.gentoo.org/package/${CAT}/${PN}"
17 >
18 > i.e. for this particular use case,
19 > http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-mobilephone/smssend
20 >
21 > The site contains a link to ChangeLog, description, current version,
22 > forums and bugs. I would suggest it is the most usable homepage a user
23 > can expect if no other exists.
24 >
25 ++ This makes the most sense; it's simple and it enables users to interact
26 with the appropriate channels to get support, or file bugs and patches.
27
28 If a notice is needed, the website can be amended to state explicitly that
29 upstream is dead (if the homepage points to self.)