From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Some Comments
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:46:34
1 On Thursday 14 August 2003 13:34, Svyatogor wrote:
2 > This is common missunderstanding of Linux which I believe is the main
3 > reason, why Linux is mooving so slowly in Desktop World. The main power of
4 > Linux is the fact that it provides choice. If you're an experienced user -
5 > go on open vi and edit all configs manually to get most out of your system.
6 > But *don't* expect this from novice users. If we want Linux to become a
7 > real alternative on desktop systems we have to make it as easy to use as
8 > possible, and not tell people: "Our system is very good and advanced, but
9 > you need to have at least Master Degree to use it".
10 >
11 > P.S. Please don't tell me that Gentoo is for Intermidiate to Advanced users
12 > - I don't believe in this.
13
14 Well, I have a master degree, and consider myself to be an advanced user, but
15 I do like a good automated menu system. I mean, it is easy to have X
16 applications available in the menu whichever windowmanager you use. Menu
17 editors are for customizations, IMHO not for adding all personal applications
18 when that could well have been done automatically.
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze
24 Gentoo Developer