From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmask >=net-p2p/bitcoin*-0.21.1
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 15:31:35
1 On 29.1.2022 19.51, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > On 25/01/2022 07.49, Joonas Niilola wrote:
3 >> On 24.1.2022 20.37, Florian Schmaus wrote:
4 >
5 > Hi Joonas,
6 >
7 >>> I think it is time to unmask the currently masked Bitcoin versions. The
8 >>> mask was added in Juli of 2021 [1], with the mask's commit message
9 >>> indicating that unmasking is planned for November 2021.
10 >>>
11 >>> I doubt that the mask was ever needed in the first place, as it was
12 >>> intended to prevent automated updates of Bitcoin in Gentoo. However,
13 >>> Gentoo has no unattended upgrade mechanism. Instead, the user explicitly
14 >>> triggers all updates.
15 >>>
16 >>> As this has already caused a little bit of friction, I'd like to get a
17 >>> feeling of the community's view on that.
18 >>>
19 >>> - Flow
20 >>>
21 >>> 1:
22 >>> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=d0bbc4dcc33927cbf0ca27a054c430f6866ed72e
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> Publishing a news item 2-4 weeks prior wouldn't cost much for us, I feel
28 >> like just to make sure it'd be the right thing to do.
29 >
30 > I am skeptical that a news item would be the right thing to do
31 >
32 > First, I doubt that the package mask was needed, as I already wrote.
33 > Hence unmasking the package is nothing that the users need to be
34 > notified about.
35 >
36 > Secondly, we never did a news item for Bitcoin in the past, even on
37 > consensus changes. So I want to prevent creating a precedent that puts
38 > us in a position where people expect us to do one for every Bitcoin
39 > protocol consensus change.
40 >
41 > Finally, the news item would state the obvious: Newer software versions
42 > may include changes that you, as a user, may want to review before
43 > upgrading.
44 >
45 > That said, I wouldn't object if someone published one. Please let me
46 > know if you plan to publish one. Otherwise, I would unmask Bitcoin in
47 > one week since no fundamental objections have been raised so far.
48 >
49 > - Flow
55 Maybe I'm overthinking it due to all the attention bitcoin has received
56 lately in Gentoo. But yeah, we haven't received any comments or bugs
57 about the mask so I guess it's fine to remove it finally. I still kind
58 of do think a news item wouldn't be the "wrong thing to do" either, but
59 don't wish to prolong this process any further.
60
61 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature