From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'pax_kernel' USE flag
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 02:40:50
1 On 2021-06-23 08:43, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 3:19 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The PaX community in Gentoo is still big and active.
4 >>
5 >> Many Gentoo users received free access to upstream sources or became
6 >> paying customers.
7 >>
8 >> It's just not available for everyone for free/without registration
9 >> anymore. But it is still a thing in Gentoo.
10 >
11 > Can you substantiate that claim?
12
13 I am probably not the right person to answer that, given that I was
14 never active in Gentoo's hardened/PaX project but let me try: When I got
15 in touch with that stuff (via Debian) and was looking for help, I always
16 run into a community full of helpful Gentoo users.
17
18 The project itself always had a very good connection with the Gentoo
19 project. Before they stopped providing unrestricted access, the Gentoo
20 PaX/hardened community was around ~30 *active* people with additional
21 ~40-60 changing people hanging around which I believe is a lot for such
22 a niche.
23
24 That's why upstream also mentioned Gentoo in
25 https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton.php.
26
27 Regarding numbers: I am not sure what you are expecting. All I can tell
28 you is that people who were active, interested and probably known to
29 upstream had the chance to get free access for their personal use (there
30 was even an offer for Gentoo infrastructure...). I don't know how many
31 are still using Gentoo.
34 > There was a pax-kernel USE flag on Mesa and I don't recall anyone
35 > saying a word when I removed it.
36
37 As you probably know, I am not a Linux desktop user (yet). My complete
38 experience with that PaX stuff is limited to servers.
41 > If there are paying customers that have PaX kernels, perhaps they'd be
42 > interested in providing some support for Gentoo if we're being asked
43 > to retain support for something we cannot test.
44
45 Yeah, would be nice to hear something from Gentoo hardened project at
46 all (I am looking at you, mschiff, zorry or blueness ;)). I think
47 slashbeast could also provide more information.
48
49 I still remember when I reworked firefox/thunderbird ebuild and broke
50 PaX marking there (https://bugs.gentoo.org/756679). So yes, we have at
51 least some users ;-)
55 Regards,
56 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
57 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature