From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vala.eclass: change vala_src_prepare behavior when USE=-vala
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:17:46
1 On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:03:05 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > No, you're not guaranteed to get the ebuild's value of IUSE, or any
4 > > particular eclass's value of IUSE, or the merged value of IUSE. In
5 > > particular for this case, it's possible to get false negatives.
6 >
7 > Then fix the spec.
8
9 The spec accurately reflects the mess that is global and metadata
10 variables. Portage has historically done all kinds of different things
11 here (sometimes varying depending upon whether you're a binary, whether
12 things are being loaded from VDB, whether env saving has happened
13 previously etc), and the code is rather sensitive to apparently minor
14 changes in bash versions. Thus we don't provide guarantees.
15
16 If you want guarantees, propose something for a future EAPI. If you
17 decide to do so, I'd be inclined to suggest proposing a function that
18 gets the actual value of a metadata variable, rather than trying to
19 lock down the value of globals in general.
22 Ciaran McCreesh