From: Matthew Kenendy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] einfo / ewarn banners and die messages
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:09:16
1 On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 10:30 -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Aaron Walker wrote: [Fri Nov 12 2004, 06:42:06AM EST]
3 > > Firstly, new* shouldn't need to die since they just cp and call their do*
4 > > counterpart, iirc.
5 >
6 > except that we'd want to see the correct die message.
7
8 > - When calling the aforementioned commands in ebuilds, there is never
9 > a situation when a failure is expected. If ever a command fails,
10 > the correct action is to die. Since that is the case, there is no
11 > reason to put all the error-handling code in the ebuilds themselves.
12 > It's just a burden on ebuild writers, and instead the errors often
13 > get ignored.
14
15 I don't think the absence of some "installables" (ie. the args to doins
16 and co.) warrants a fatal error. Especially if you want the semantics
17 of a doins installing "any of the following arguments given to it".
18
19 If you really have to, just print out some diagnostic in red.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list