From: Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] einfo / ewarn banners and die messages
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:12:14
1 > I don't think the absence of some "installables" (ie. the args to doins
2 > and co.) warrants a fatal error. Especially if you want the semantics
3 > of a doins installing "any of the following arguments given to it".
6 The "do*" family as documented in the Developer Handbook[1], are defined
7 as "Installs the specified files/libraries...", and make no mention of
8 "Installing any...", granted we may be into semantics here.
9
10 Someone brought up missing README, COPYING and other documents as an
11 example of where "do*" should not be required to die. Someone else
12 brought up the example of a missing file such an initscript, in which
13 case "do*" should definitely die. On the question of eclasses containing
14 dodoc's that are 'allowed' to fail, the gnome2 eclass allows derived
15 ebuilds to set DOCS="foo bar", and will dodoc to all these files. So
16 each ebuild can specify the docs that are available, and dodoc is never
17 relied upon to fail.
18
19 We shouldn't be relying on the existence of a file at package time if
20 we're specifically installing it.
21
22 Mike Gardiner
23 (Obz)