From: Matthew Kenendy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] einfo / ewarn banners and die messages
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:45:29
1 On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 07:07 +0800, Mike Gardiner wrote:
2 > > I don't think the absence of some "installables" (ie. the args to doins
3 > > and co.) warrants a fatal error. Especially if you want the semantics
4 > > of a doins installing "any of the following arguments given to it".
7 > The "do*" family as documented in the Developer Handbook[1], are defined
8 > as "Installs the specified files/libraries...", and make no mention of
9 > "Installing any...", granted we may be into semantics here.
10
11 This is all I care about on this topic: If in src_install I know
12 src_compile has produced, say, two types of files. The 1st type end
13 in .fasl will always be generated and need to be installed. The second
14 type end in .dat and will need to be installed if they exist (they might
15 or might not be generated depending on any number of variables).
16
17 Up until this thread, the solution was simple:
18
19 doins *.fasl *.dat
20
21 So what will that need to be if doins calls die because a file '*.dat'
22 can't be found?
23
24 Perhaps doins should take a --strict argument, whose absence will be
25 compatible with what I do now and whose presence will be appreciated by
26 those developers forgetting to install init.d run scripts etc.
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list