From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Future EAPI] src_fetch() phase function to support VCS fetching
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:52:32
1 On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:45:16 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > > And yes, it is *very* unlikely that someone uses a slotted live
4 > > ebuild with two branches being meaningful and managed in the same
5 > > repo. Even if such thing exists, it is broken anyway because you
6 > > can't say that re-fetching the branches back and forth is a correct
7 > > solution. And it breaks existing tools anyway.
8 >
9 > This is done large-scale for all KDE ebuilds (in the KDE overlay) to
10 > support master and KDE/4.x stable branch. Most use git, so no
11 > problem; some (still) use subversion but will be migrated upstream
12 > soon(?).
13 >
14 > Other examples are libreoffice (main tree, git) and cups (main tree,
15 > subversion).
16
17 I guess that's a pretty comprehensive "we need to do this properly"
18 then.
21 Ciaran McCreesh